Author Topic: Auber PID or Maverick ET-733?  (Read 5393 times)

VermontCharlie

Auber PID or Maverick ET-733?
« on: August 06, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »
Yes, I suppose I could have both!     Several questions about this.

Any thoughts on which of these would make the most sense, if just getting one or the other?  Looks like about $70 for the Maverick, so I was thinking maybe it would be worth it to go another $100 or so for the Auber instead.
I'd miss having the remote monitoring with the Auber, but chances are I wouldn't be that far away that I can't just check in on the #2 as needed.
Do people feel that the results are much better with the Auber, to make that the more worthwhile option? 

Also, I am a little confused as to how the Auber functions.  Do you just set it to hold a certain smoker temp for a particular length of time.....   or do you/can you set it up to hold a certain temp, until the internal probe shows the meat to hit a particular temp?
And can you program it to shut off when the target internal meat temp is reached?  Or at least lower the temp to 140 or something after hitting target temp, to put it on 'hold'?

Thanks for any advice.  Still new to all of this- I have a single probe digital meat thermometer now, which I am starting out with, but would like to get a dual probe unit- the question is which of the above!

Charlie

Kal

Re: Auber PID or Maverick ET-733?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
Hi Charlie,
I'm a newbie with a Smokin It # 2, two months under my belt. I'm not familiar with the Auber unit, from all the comments I have read the unit is very reliable and can dialed in for a few different cooking temps. I do not own a Maverick but in researching for a thermometer I found good and bad reviews.

Another unit to consider would be a Thermoworks thermometer. I purchased a Thermoworks, Two-Channel Thermocouple With Alarm Model, #TW8060. I looked at as many reviews I could and this unit had high marks. It works as advertised and seems very accurate. There is no Wifi to tell me the temperature but it has alarms, a pretty straight forward unit, I usually just set it up and check my temps out the back door while getting another beer!
Here's a link. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html

Kal

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:36:23 PM »
Hey Kal and Charlie - good question!

First off, you guys are comparing apples to oranges.  The Maverick and Thermoworks are thermometers only.  The Auber PID is a controller.  The difference is that the Auber takes over control of the smoker from the stock controller (dial on top of the smoker), and provides incredible accuracy.

The Auber does some amazing things:

• It is a precision instrument, meant for scientific accuracy, but adapted to use with a smoker.
  • It is highly reliable.
  • It gives you the ability to set 6 program "steps" according to your needs.  These "steps" are triggered by either time, or the internal temperature of the meat.
  • It does automatically shut off when done, or you can use one of the steps to program a "hold" temperature.
With that said, I have a good deal of experience with the stock (analog) smoker, and one using the Auber.  While the Auber is absolutely NOT necessary to produce great Q with these smokers, it's like having a touch-tone home phone your whole life, and then being handed a cellular smart phone.  Yeah, the end result is the same (a phone call), but the sound quality and capabilities of the smart phone can't be compared.  Once you go to the smart phone, you probably won't want to go back to the old touch-tone!  Bottom line:  I can't imagine going back to the analog controller after using the Auber.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigbassnutt

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »
I have to agree with Tony, I have the Maverick 733 and the Auber and I am comfortable enough with the Auber that I don't use the Maverick much at all. I do like the Maverick when using the charcoal grill, it allows me to cook the meat to exactly the desired temperature. I also recommend the permanent mounted temp probe for the Auber, eliminates one extra step when starting a smoke and it's always in the same place for better consistency.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:46:30 PM »
I have to agree with Tony, I have the Maverick 733 and the Auber and I am comfortable enough with the Auber that I don't use the Maverick much at all. I do like the Maverick when using the charcoal grill, it allows me to cook the meat to exactly the desired temperature. I also recommend the permanent mounted temp probe for the Auber, eliminates one extra step when starting a smoke and it's always in the same place for better consistency.

Great point, Mike!  Adding the permanent probe is a major leap in convenience and consistency!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 12:47:13 AM »
I have the Maverick and it is great, however when I bought my smoker, the Auber was not available and there was nothing on this or any forum about the Auber when doing my research.

If the information provided on this site regarding the Auber was available at that time, I would have purchased the Auber without hesitation.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

es1025

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 06:00:34 AM »
I have a maverick (732) and the thermoworks TW8060 with two high heat probes (smoker and food) and the auber.

The maverick (cost around $60) worked well but after a while the smoker probe started to malfunction and stopped working.  I would not recommend this product

The thermoworks kit (cost around $150) is awesome, the food probe is stop on and the smoker probe worked great.  I highly recommend. Since its the high heat kit you can use with your gas grill.

The auber ($200+) actually controls the thermostat on the smoker.  You have the ability to dial in the smoker to a set temp 240 and it can maintain for hours until you hit a desired food temperature.  You have to do some basic program but its pretty simple. It you perform a bypass you can achieve smoker temps above 250.

I used the thermoworks food probe with my auber when I smoke any meat probe except for ribs.  I have tested the auber food probe vs. the thermoworks food probe and the IT is off a 1-2 degrees. Not a big deal to some but to me its important.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

mnsmoker

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:03:31 AM »
The Auber with fixed probe turns this smoker into a true digital unit making it the best performing electric smoker on the market.
Jim from Minnesota

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
If you use your smoker in the rain, you would need to weather proof the auber, as it is not weatherized.

My 733 transmitter is supposed to be rain proof, but I put mine in a ziplock bag if I think it's going to rain.

I would like to get an auber at some point in time, but worry about using it on an uncovered patio.  I'll need to design some sort of water tight box to put it in.

Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek