Author Topic: Butt Done Earlier than anticipated..what to do until served ?  (Read 2997 times)

curl217

Butt Done Earlier than anticipated..what to do until served ?
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »
Looks as though the boneless pork butt I have smoked for dinner this evening will be done a few (3) hours earlier than I thought. Looking to serve this at 5 or so, will probably be out of the smoker at 2.

Should I wrap in foil and let it sit out, or wrap and put back in smoker at reduced temp?

WeekendWarrior

Re: Butt Done Earlier than anticipated..what to do until served ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »
Double wrap in foil, and put in the smallest cooler that will fit, and put towels around it.

I will stay hot for hours this way, and improves the moisture and flavor throughout.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

curl217

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Wonderful, thanks. Toyed with the idea of letting it go to 200 for pulled pork, but am eager to try your suggestion...

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
You can also dial down the temp to 140 and hold for a few hours, then pull it about 1 to 2 hours before serving and double wrap in foil and put in the cooler like above.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
What temp did you go to, curl?  Sliced pork, I assume?  I usually go to 175 for sliced (on butts, not loins), and they slice great.

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

curl217

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »
Actually by the time I pulled it, it was a little over 190. Wrapped in foil, placed in cooler, and covered with towels as you suggested. Removed from cooler 2hrs later, and pulled it. Served with carolina vinegar splash, and was quite wonderful. Thanks for the tip!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
Great job, curl!   You definitely want to include the 2 hours rest period, double wrapped in foil, in a cooler.  This allows the juices in the meat to redistribute so they stay in the pork when you slice or pull.  Well done!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2