Author Topic: Roasted Potatoes  (Read 2860 times)

jdiver

Roasted Potatoes
« on: August 02, 2014, 06:59:53 PM »
Just made and enjoyed two types of potatoes in my SI2. Placed Gold and Russets on the rack below my ribs. They smoked for 4.5 hours at 220. Came out wonderful flavor, and I also my wife, loved the texture. As I expected for the Gold they were dense, beautiful color, and great smoke taste. Surprised how much smoke taste was imparted to both potatoes.

But what we didn't expect was the texture of the russets. Much larger, great baking potatoes. Same solid dense texture as the Gold. When I first forked it I thought maybe not done enough. No, they were fine. Just not like I'd expect a baked potato.

I have one Russet and one Gold leftover. Going to chop them up and use them for breakfast potatoes.  I'll be doing them again in the smoker. We really loved them...
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

WeekendWarrior

Re: Roasted Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »
I did some large russets the other day with boneless beef ribs, and I was a little worried they would be over done at 225 for 6 hours, but turned out just fine.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

jdiver

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
Cut up the left over potatoes and fried them with country sausage for breakfast. I LOVED them, nice smoke flavor, not too heavy, but there for sure. Alas my wife didn't like them. Didn't care for the smoke taste for breakfast. Really she doesn't even care for potatoes for breakfast. Well more for me:)

I'll try a batch with less smoke, maybe a lighter smoke as well. Used Hickory.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »
Our local deli has a "loaded Backed Potato Salad" Bacon, cheddar, scallions, sour cream, mayo. Very simple to make but we buy it on occasion out of convince. Our preference is to broil a thin layer of it to get everything hot and crispy. I plan on making this with smoked potatoes while the meat rests.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud