Author Topic: butt wrapping?  (Read 2452 times)

slojoe

butt wrapping?
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:17:07 PM »
Read several posts in different forums that specify cooking the butt till about 165 IT then wrapping with foil and putting it back in the smoker, same temp, till the 195 temp is reached. Pull off, wrap, insulate and hold for 1-2hr before pulling. Anybody tried this and how did it work?

Just realized this should be in the Pork section, don't know how to shift it over........oops
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:58:56 PM by slojoe »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: butt wrapping?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
Joe,

There are many wrap/unwrap techniques needed for traditional (non-electric) smokers, mainly due to the drying nature inherent in their heat sources.  Many of us started out trying to use those methods in the SIs, and many of us have found it's a total waste of time.

First, these smokers really maintain the moist environment, so drying of the meat is very limited.  Secondly, not wrapping produces a far superior bark.  Thirdly, you have to open the door, repeatedly, to accomplish this.  This is not good, as the major of these units is to maintain a moist environment.  Opening the door, multiple times, during a smoke kind of defeats that.

I've run it both ways, and never ever foil anything anymore, until I take it out for a rest in the cooler! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

slojoe

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »
I think I'll follow your advice, gotta trust the cooker, I did forget that this SI2 is pretty well sealed, I did get just a touch of leakage after about 12 hrs of learning the smoker yesterday.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »
You'll likely get a little smoke seepage around the door for the first few smokes, until a good layer of creosote builds up.  No big deal at all.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

mnsmoker

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:52 AM »
I'm with Tony no more foil, I was doing the cook till 165 wrap in foil back in till 195 take out let it rest for 2 hrs. ...way to much work, now if I'm short on time I don't even let it rest just cook till 200 or so and pull, maybe not quite as good but never had any complaints, these things truly take the work out of smokin while producing great results.
Jim from Minnesota

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
Great post, Brian!  Almost forgot about this one! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »
I totally agree with Tony on this one. There is no need to foil with the SI, especially if you use a water pan at the bottom of the smoker.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It