Author Topic: Newbie here - Smoking Brisket in the SI2 and need some help!  (Read 5716 times)

jblood323

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here and am proud to announce that I recently purchased a SI2. I seasoned it last weekend and did some baby back for my first smoke that came out great, thanks to doing some research on the forums here.  I'm a Texas native, now living in San Francisco, and have been dying to bring some Texas style BBQ to my friends and family out here.  But alas, I don't have the trusty stick burner that I have always used back home.  So I have a few questions about smoking brisket in my #2.

First off, how big of a packer cut can I fit in this thing? I'm thinking max 10#, but am not quite sure.  I refuse to cook the flat alone because I love the moistness of the point so much, but now that I am confined to a little less rack space I am in quite the dilemma.

Secondly, how long after turning the smoker on (225) do you wait to put the brisket in?  I have never used an auber or temp. gauge with my brisket and have always gone by time and look. But with the electric smoker and small amount of wood, I'm hesitant to open the door and let all the smoke and heat out. Is a temp probe necessary while cooking in the SI2? And if so, do you put your probe in the point or in the flat? From what I see on here, you need to pull at 190.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie here - Smoking Brisket in the SI2 and need some help!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:56:36 AM »
The simple solution would be know your rack measurements and take a tape measure when you go meat shopping. I have a #3 and cant speak to what fits in your #2. I recommend getting a good probe thermometer to monitor internal temp on your meat.

Prep your brisket as you always have, rub, inject whatever your preference is. Put cold meat in the cold smoker with 6 to 8 oz of your favorite wood. You should have a small pan or can next to the firebox full of beer, juice or water. Set the dial at 225 and wait. When your internal temp hits 190 your done. you could actually pull it at 185 to 187 if your wrapping it and letting it rest. It likely will be nearly 1.5 hours per pound.

Since you have smoked brisket before, but not with a thermometer you may want to check the meat at 180, then again at 190 to see if the texture is what you want. A quick check does not cost you a lot of heat or smoke.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:51:50 AM »
Jblood
Another option.
I smoke brisket flats.
250 degrees, use a dalmatian rub (half kosher salt and half course black pepper). I measure out 2 or 3 tablespoons.
Water pan is a must. I use 4 oz of wood. Smoke unit 165 and spritz with worcestshire and water mixture and wrap in parchment or butcher paper until the meat hits 195. Let rest for 30 minutes or so.

This is aaron franklins recipe.

I made a bunch of briskets with different re ipes this was the best.

One last thing let the meat rest before smoking  for one hour. Good luck.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:15:25 AM »
Secondly, how long after turning the smoker on (225) do you wait to put the brisket in? 

You don't need to heat up the smoker, just put the brisket in the cold SI, turn it on and set your temp.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
I would recommend that you place the probe at the mid point of the brisket, between the point and the flat.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

mnsmoker

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
I have the #2 and I can fit up to a 13# brisket, a little snug but if you angle it you can do it and it shrinks down quite a bit by the time it's done, sometimes I'll trim a few inches off and turn that into burnt ends.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »
J - welcome to the club!  You're getting great advice from the "team!"  I just want to welcome you, and let you know you are in for a real treat, moving from the stick burner to the #2!  Nothing wrong with stick burners, mind you, but I bet you'll enjoy the "Lazy Q" process a little more...LOTS less work!

I, personally, like packers over flats, too.  I inject/rub the night before, and let get happy in the fridge overnight.  About 5-5.5 oz of my favorite wood, and a water pan, and the fridge-cold briskie goes in the smoker.  Set the dial (or Auber) to 225 and let 'er rip!  Then - most importantly - I find something better to do for the next 10-15 hours, and come back when the temp hits 195.  Remove, wrap, rest in the cooler for an hour or two.  Hate to say it's that simple, but it is!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jblood323

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
Great info all around! Thanks everyone. 

I trimmed and rubbed the brisket (11.5# packer) yesterday evening and put it on last night around midnight.  It fit! Right now, I am 9.5 hours into the smoke and the temp is at 171.  I will pull it at 190 and then wrap in foil and put in a cooler to allow it to rest for an hour.  I will let y'all know how it turns out.

JB

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
Can't wait to see the results, JB!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
Hmm brisket... Now I have a craving. What to do.

I can't start one now, I have jerky in the smoker at the moment.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

jdiver

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »
Ed, you said Let it rest before smoking? Are you saying you let it warm up a bit from the fridge temp? Or something else?

I've so far done, cold meat, cold smoker. I actually love that idea. Rings a note with the lazy approach I can embrace. :)

It's funny, I'm not a huge Brisket fan. But I want to smoke one. Got to invite some friends over to help eat it.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

Walt

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
I picked up 2 flats today & will do a brine for the next 2 to 3 days, then inject & rub. One will be cooked this weekend & the other frozen for a realy easy smoke later.  I have done this before with ribs & brisket & I haven't noticed any ill effect.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »
Ed, you said Let it rest before smoking? Are you saying you let it warm up a bit from the fridge temp? Or something else?

I've so far done, cold meat, cold smoker. I actually love that idea. Rings a note with the lazy approach I can embrace. :)

It's funny, I'm not a huge Brisket fan. But I want to smoke one. Got to invite some friends over to help eat it.

Pretty sure he's referring to letting it rest post-smoke.  Stick with the cold meat/cold smoker method; it works.
Tony from NW Arkansas