Author Topic: Meatloaf  (Read 6236 times)

CarlosJ

Meatloaf
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:16:09 PM »
I smoked a meatloaf last night using the Cook's Country recipe I've seen mentioned here.  Here's the recipe https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MURxXqaM9WAvaxeJqbKL7m1e2cyTQ6SL6mAXtC8unOQ/preview

I did the loaf in a disposable aluminum loaf pan as opposed to a blob of meat on a pan.  Smoked it at 225 until it got up to 145, then finished it in the oven.  I kind of liked it in the loaf pan because it was traditional (super juicy!) meatloaf through and through with the exception of about an inch deep from the top, which was deliciously smoky.  The glaze was good, and smoking it made it all the better. 

I'm going to try the blob-of-meat on a pan method next time and see what it's like totally smoked, instead of just the top.

Oh, and I also used the last of my garden tomatoes to make a tomato pie, which I served with the meatloaf.  Really good!  Here's the recipe:  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomato_pie/?utm_content=buffer50c39&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I used Gruyere and sharp cheddar.  Don't salt it, as the mayo is plenty salty. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
Sounds good, Carlos!  Any pics of the finished loaf? :-\
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »
Hmm, I love the tomato pie recipe, especially with the basil combo, however I'm not a fan of the mayo.

If you want a quick version, I use pizza dough, spread it like you normally would when making pizza, then brush a light coating of olive oil over the top and then spread dice tomatoes sparingly with basil and garlic powder then bake in the oven or on the grill.  If you prefer, you can also add some grated parmaggiano cheese or shredded mozzarella, but the idea here is no cheese at all. It is a replacement for bread during your meal, but with added flavour that the tomatoes and basil add to it.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

GeeBee

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:45:32 AM »
Carlos,
That's one of my favorite recipes for meatloaf. I smoke it without a pan, just form a sort of loaf shape. I use a Grill-O-Sheet, put the loaf on it, then carefully put it in the smoker. It's a little messy, because all the grease drips off, but it's worth it. I get the Grill-O-Sheets at my local Lowes, but they're also easy to find online. The nice thing about them is you can trim them to the size you want with a pair of scissors, and they're pretty inexpensive, so can be disposable, though I tend to reuse them as much as possible.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

CarlosJ

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »
Pics attached, Tony!

Smokster:  Don’t mind the mayo.  If you didn’t know it was there, you’d probably not even know.  It’s really, really good.  Give it a whirl.  I’ll try the pizza dough next time!!

GeeBee:  It’s now my favorite recipe!  Amazingly delicious!  The next time I make it, it’s not going to be in a loaf pan, so I get the whole thing smoked.  Next time I make it I was thinking about cutting holes in a disposable loaf pan to see how that works.  If it works well as a prototype, I might try a reusable pan. 

Anyway that loaf is probably the best I’ve ever had.  And thanks for the Grill-o-Sheet info.  I’ll give ‘em a look.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »
Pics attached, Tony!

Smokster:  Don’t mind the mayo.  If you didn’t know it was there, you’d probably not even know.  It’s really, really good.  Give it a whirl.  I’ll try the pizza dough next time!!

GeeBee:  It’s now my favorite recipe!  Amazingly delicious!  The next time I make it, it’s not going to be in a loaf pan, so I get the whole thing smoked.  Next time I make it I was thinking about cutting holes in a disposable loaf pan to see how that works.  If it works well as a prototype, I might try a reusable pan. 

Anyway that loaf is probably the best I’ve ever had.  And thanks for the Grill-o-Sheet info.  I’ll give ‘em a look.

Looks great, Carlos!  I haven't tried this, but I would think a way of maintaining the shape, with it not in the pan, would be to line a loaf pan with wax paper, stuff it with your meat mixture, then chill in the fridge for a few hours to firm-up the meat.  Then, gently dump it from the pan directly onto your grill mat.  Seems like it would reasonably maintain its shape.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:58:42 PM »
Carlos, the meatloaf looks great. Definitely another future recipe to add to my future smoke list.

I'am going to try the tomato pic as well and use a low fat mayo.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
I have not tried meatloaf, nor will I. I don't speak of it often but I was traumatized on a regular basis as a child, by poorly made meatloaf.

You guys have fun with it.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

GeeBee

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »
Carlos I form mine into what I guess you would call a low, squat loaf. Usually about 9 by 5 inches and about 3 inches high. It holds it's shape just fine on the Grill-O-Sheets and gets good and smoky.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

jdiver

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »
Sometimes I form it in a loaf pan. I have one that's longer than normal and makes a nice 3# loaf. Form it in the pan, chill, then take out of pan for cooking. They hold their shape nicely.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
Sometimes I form it in a loaf pan. I have one that's longer than normal and makes a nice 3# loaf. Form it in the pan, chill, then take out of pan for cooking. They hold their shape nicely.

Ha!  I guess I can take this as verification of my thought above!  Thanks JD - I figured someone had tried this!
Tony from NW Arkansas

chickenfeets

• Model 1
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:04:36 PM »
I'm glad to have found this thread because I want to smoke a meatloaf in the little guy. Thank you all for the many resources I've found here.
Wilma in NOLA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 09:27:46 PM »
I've done the "jeff" recipe for meatloaf and always turned out well.  Good luck.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/october-2-2014-smoked-beef-and-pork-meatloaf-muffins

Store pre done pork, veal, beef mix works well too. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA