Author Topic: Mesquite Sirloin Tip Roast  (Read 8899 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Mesquite Sirloin Tip Roast
« on: July 14, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
Smoked a 5.5 lb "choice" sirloin tip roast yesterday.  I rubbed it with mustard and Jeff Phillips' rub, and smoked at 205° with 3.5 oz of mesquite (+ apple juice pan).  When it hit 130, I foiled and rested it while the oven heated to 545.  Then, I gave it a reverse-sear to brown the rub a bit more.  Total smoke time 3.5 hours to hit 130.

The meat was tender and tasty.  I like the sirloin tip roast done like this - kind of "poor man's" prime rib! ;)   I normally use Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning on beef, but thought I'd give Jeff's rub a try.  It was good, but I think I prefer the Baldridge.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Mesquite Sirloin Tip Roast
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:01 AM »
Hey DM, that looks good.  How did you get the slices so thin, did you use a straight edge knife?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
Thin slices courtesy a Victorinox Granton-edge carving knife!  Keep it sharp, and it's great!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=792.0
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:27 AM »
Thats a great knife isn't it.  next time try a dalmatian rubs with a little garlic powder.  The rub enhances the meat.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »
I'll try it, Ed!  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas

jimrh

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:05:04 AM »
I was in a meat locker in NE Iowa last weekend and saw a Sirloin Tip Roast on display and remembered your recent post so I bought it.  I covered it with mustard and coated it with Montreal Steak seasoning.  Then in the #1 at 210 with 3 oz hickory.  Three and half hours later wrapped it in foil and set in a towel lined cooler for 2 hours then in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes.  My wife and I agreed this was so similar to a prime rib I could have fooled just about anyone.  Thanks for help, Jim

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »
Hey Tony this is very nice, if wanted to take it to a med. rare would you suggest an IT of 150 degrees? Yours is a bit to rare for my family but they will go with a med. rare or just a little pink.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
I was in a meat locker in NE Iowa last weekend and saw a Sirloin Tip Roast on display and remembered your recent post so I bought it.  I covered it with mustard and coated it with Montreal Steak seasoning.  Then in the #1 at 210 with 3 oz hickory.  Three and half hours later wrapped it in foil and set in a towel lined cooler for 2 hours then in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes.  My wife and I agreed this was so similar to a prime rib I could have fooled just about anyone.  Thanks for help, Jim

Thanks Jim!  If you have a Sam's around, check out the Top Sirloins in the cryovac bags.  Absolutely killer!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:41:49 PM »
Hey Tony this is very nice, if wanted to take it to a med. rare would you suggest an IT of 150 degrees? Yours is a bit to rare for my family but they will go with a med. rare or just a little pink.

Bill, this roast was medium-rare.  I think you may mean medium-well.  I can't advise on the temp needed for that, as I would probably feed it to the dog if it ended up there.  Same as ruined, in my house. ;)   But, if you must, 150+ should be fine.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:42:37 PM »
You will have to hunt for any pink at 150.  I like medium at 138 that gives a nice pink without any of the red flesh look. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
Thanks that is what I was thinking about will go with 138.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »
You will have to hunt for any pink at 150.  I like medium at 138 that gives a nice pink without any of the red flesh look.

Sounds like his family wants gray, which is going to be in the 150 zone.  Low 140s for a "little" pink.  On steaks, I enjoy your medium (135-138).  But, for some reason, a tender roast or prime rib?  Medium-rare is great with us! 

Bill, you'll get more than a little pink at 138.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »
Am looking for just a light pink center, not grey as that is well done. I can always pull it early as I can do the medium rare. Just rest of family cannot will just have to find a happy temp. for everyone.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »
Gotcha, Bill.  Medium-well is a level between medium, and what you call well-done.  Med-well will have some pink, whereas well-done is gray and dry...essentially shoe leather, at that point!  If I hear someone order that when I'm at a steakhouse, it takes all of my self-control to not get up and throw them out!! LOL! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »
Pulling at 138 usually means the meat slides to 140. And cooking a few minutes longer if desired is a lot easier than uncooking it. Lol
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah