Author Topic: Prep Station  (Read 4370 times)

Kal

Prep Station
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
Hi All,
When I got my #2 smoker with cart I found there was no room to store everything needed for a smoke so I researched the internet looking for a mobile prep station, most of the things I found were either cheap plastic or way overpriced. I found a picture from a creative smoker who used a tool box to store all of their gear. So kudos to them!

I purchased a Husky rolling tool chest, it comes with 4 drawers and two locking casters. It's a perfect set up so I don't need to run in and out of the house during a smoke. It's mobile so I can store it when done.  I got mine at Home Depot and they threw in the wood top. I added a galvanized paper towel holder and a hanging basket. The box is a great addition to the smoker and it's very handy.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Prep Station
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:18:35 AM »
Nice set up.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:55:13 AM »
Nice to have a central location for all the tools of the hobby. Thanks for sharing!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:24:23 PM »
Nice war chest, Kal!  Great idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigbassnutt

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »
That's a great setup!
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »
Great idea!  So, how do you feel about your cart?  Are you using the shelves or just the prep station top?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Kal

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 09:31:03 AM »
Hey Libo
This set up has been great, I use all of the shelves and the top. When I do a smoke or BBQ I have almost everything at my fingertips so it makes it very convenient. It is worth the investment in saving time and it can always become a tool box if needed!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
Nice job, Kal!  You got me thinking about doing this as well.   I have my smoker on an exposed deck behind the house.  How would the Husky do in weather?   I wonder if Home Depot sells covers for these?   I sure like the  idea of having all of the tools/supplies in a central location!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Kal

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 11:34:18 AM »
Thanks !
I am not sure how the box will hold up in rain or snow. I live in Southern California and we are currently in drought conditions so I have no problem leaving the box on the patio. I liked that unit came with wheels so it makes it easy to move it from the patio to the garage if needed.

I'm not sure if a cover exist but that's a great idea. I think Home Depot owns the Husky brand so they would be the place to check for a cover.

I have been pretty happy with this set up, my wife hates her small kitchen so she is happy I'm outside not invading her space. I also like that it can be moved to the point of use right next to the smoker or BBQ.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »
I am definitely liking this!   I will check out Home Depot, right down the street from me.  Thanks!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2