Author Topic: First Attempt at Brisket  (Read 5225 times)

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
First Attempt at Brisket
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »
Today I am trying my first attempt at smoking a full 13.5lb brisket (trimmed).

I brined the brisket using the equalibrium brine method found on the forum.  Factoring the weight of the brisket, my estimates are as follows:
13.5lb x 454 grams = 6129 grams
2% salt - 6129 x 0.02 = 122 grams of salt
1% sugar - 6129 x 0.01 = 61 grams of sugar
2.5 tbsp each of garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper
2.5 tsp each of paprika and coriander.
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp each of concentrated beef broth and Worcestershire sauce

Then I added hot water to the spice mix until I reached a weight equal to 6129 grams and let cool to room temperature, then in the fridge to cool further. Once cooled, I added the brisket to the brine and refrigerated for 22 hours.

After 22 hours, I removed the brisket from the brine, rinsed with cold water and dried with paper towel.  Added mustard as a binding agent and dry rub, then injected with a mixture of beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.  Wrapped and back in the fridge for 4 hours.  I plan on smoking at 225 with 5 oz of hickory and a pan with beer until I reach an internal temp of 195.

The rub I used consists of the following:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tbsp each of pepper, garlic powder onion powder and lemon/pepper spice.
1 tbsp each of paprika chilli powder and seasoning salt

Question for the forum: Should I divide the flat from the point and smoke on the same rack, closest to the top of the smoker? My suspicion is that the flat will reach 195 before the point.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:53:54 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Attempt at Brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:13:36 PM »
Sounds like a plan, T!  If you have the room, keep the flat and point together.  That's kind of the beauty of a packer cut - they're combined.  Undisturbed meat will always cook better!    Keep it as high as possible in the smoker.  The air at the top is more stable and consistent.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »
Sounds great. That method has been ridiculously good for me.  The flavor profile looks good.  I'm interested to hear how it turned out.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice Tony (DM). I started the smoke 90 mins ago, and I decided to put it in whole, second self from the top.  Current meat temp is 100 degrees and the smoker temp is holding steady at an average of 225 (+- 10 degrees).

Walt: I used one of your recent posts as a guide, I liked the results you produced using the brine and injection method. Smoking a brisket for a first time can be intimidating and your method seems to produce a moist and tender brisket.

Considering that the brisket is 13.5 lbs, I am anticipating that the smoke may take approximately 19 hours to complete.  If all goes well, the brisket will be ready at 2 PM tomorrow, then wrap in foil and in the cooler for two hours, just in the for the World Cup finals.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:00:55 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
Initially Setting the smoker at 225, I reached an IT of 150 after 6 hours, so I was a bit worried it would be done to soon, therefore at that point I dropped the temp to 215 for the remainder of the smoke.

I'm 17.5 hours into the smoke and reached 196 degree internal temp with no peeking. I decided to take it to 200 IT then I will lower the temp to 140 to hold the brisket for about 2.5 hours, then foil and in the cooler to rest for another 1.5 - 2 hours, just in time to eat after the World Cup Soccer finals.

I tested a few spot of the brisket to get a sense of even temp throughout the flat and the point and it is very even. So far it smells amazing and I have to say, I was in shock and pleasantly surprised that my instant read thermometer when into the brisket with very little resistance, like a hot knife through butter.  I can already tell that this smoke will be a success.

For the sauce, I made a double batch of Tony's St. Louis style sauce, I love this stuff and use it for everything.  My guests will be in for a real treat.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=772.0

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:46:01 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Walt

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
They certainly will!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »
Thanks Walt. The anticipation is killing me, but that is half the fun.

But I have to give credit where it is due, your method has definitely made this a successful smoke. Thanks for sharing and to Tony for his helpful advise.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
Sounds like another great SI success story!  I'm smoking a 5.5 lb sirloin tip roast today.  Jeff P.'s rub, mesquite.  Slow smoke at 205, then a reverse sear after it hits 130.  Hope it's a successful as your brisket!  And thanks, again, for the sauce endorsement! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
Sounds like another great SI success story!  I'm smoking a 5.5 lb sirloin tip roast today.  Jeff P.'s rub, mesquite.  Slow smoke at 205, then a reverse sear after it hits 130.  Hope it's a successful as your brisket!  And thanks, again, for the sauce endorsement! ;D

The sauce endorsement goes without saying, it's simply amazing just like the SI smokers.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »
The brisket turned out amazingly very moist and tender.  Everyone loved it and couldn't get enough of it.

When slicing the juices were unbelievable. The fat just melted in your mouth and this brisket was better then any I have ever had at a restaurant. A truly successful smoke.

In total. It took 19.5 hours to smoke to 200 degrees. The final weight after smoking was 9 lbs, therefore the brisket lost 4.5 lbs during the smoke.

Pics are below.

Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
Nice job, T!  That looks incredible!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas