Author Topic: Should I Purchase ?  (Read 7140 times)

wolfdog

Should I Purchase ?
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
New member as of today. Im looking to purchase an updated electric smoker as mine is around 30 yrs old but only has been used for the past two. I was considering the Masterbuilt Smoker. Changed my mind as i read too many horror stories about this smoker.
Example one lady had to replace her control panel 3 times and her smoker is a month old.
After searching the net i stumbled across the smokin it smoker. Every thing i read on these smokers has been positive. The only thing is that there is no timer on these smokers. I would like input from owners of " the little guy " both good and bad

Thanks

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Should I Purchase ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »
Hello wolfdog and welcome to the forum from Arizona.  These units are very popular and reliable. The only negative comment I can remember reading was that after a few smoke, the customer wished they had something larger.   In other words, they out grew it. But it never let them down.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
Hi Wolfdog, and welcome to the coolest Q forum in town! 8)   Ok, I'm a little biased.  I, too, was considering MES and Bradleys before I (fortunately) happened upon SI!  So glad I did!

I have a #1 and a #2 that get used quite frequently.  The "Little Guy" has been a tank; it's like "Old Faithful!"  The website hasn't been changed yet, but the #1s now have a 400 watt element (up from 350).  It is a very efficient and reliable unit, but limited in size.  The #2 is also incredible.  It gets used with the Auber PID exclusively.

Two things:  Size - Use your budget, and the number of people you smoke for, as a guide to the size.  I cook for 2 adults and a 15 year old boy that eats like 2 adults.  I have never been let down with the #1.  But, I'm limited to 1 pork butt (8-10 lbs), one brisket, one good-size chicken, and 3 racks of baby back ribs.  If you need to smoke for a bigger crowd, think larger.  You can always smoke less in a larger unit, but maintain the flexibility to blow it out for a big crowd!

The other thing:  You mentioned "no timer."  If you cook by internal meat temp (highly recommended), you don't need a timer.  The only thing I truly smoke by time is ribs, and even that is flexible (depending on how done they are when I check).  The idea is to use an external thermometer and watch the temp.  A good thermometer, like the Maverick ET-732 or 733 will help you keep track of time and temp.

However, if you want unbelievably accurate control of the smoker, with 6 steps of programmable perfection, and a "timer" capability (that puts all others to shame, including digital smokers that cost 3 times as much), add the Auber PID controller to the smoker.  Stupid accurate and consistent.  This is a "scientific" instrument adapted to the smoker, and it is incredible.  The Auber can hold temps +/- 1-2°.

Hit us with all the questions you can!  You'll find a large number of very happy owners/users here, and we're here to help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mnsmoker

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »
#1, 2, or 3 with Auber best deal and best performing smoker in the industry hands down!!!
Jim from Minnesota

wolfdog

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
im convinced the # 1 is for me as there's only two of us in the household. is the smoker american made ?

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »
#1, 2, or 3 with Auber best deal and best performing smoker in the industry hands down!!!

Thanks, Jim, for the "in a nutshell" breakdown of what I took too many words to say! ::)   lol.  That's really what it boils down to, in the long run!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:22:41 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 10:08:06 PM »
im convinced the # 1 is for me as there's only two of us in the household. is the smoker american made ?

The smokers were designed here, but like the vast majority of manufacturing today, are outsourced overseas.  However, the construction quality is outstanding; these things are built like tanks!  Unfortunately, to have them built in the US would triple the cost.  It's a tradeoff in a very competitive market.  Pretty sure MES is not actually built in the US either.

One other thing, though; it is a true "American Dream" small business success story!  Steve, the owner, started the company in Ohio and has recently moved back to his home state of Michigan.  Although the smokers are manufactured overseas, he personally inspects every one before shipping.  Also, if you call the SI customer support phone number (or text it), you will hear from Steve - the owner!  Not many companies out there let you talk to the owner when you have a question!  I can tell you this - I've been fortunate to be involved with SI, as the moderator here, because they are really good people with a great product.  I have a very busy life, and would not have spent as much time working on this forum had it not been for the quality of the product and the folks that run the company!  I don't care where it's actually assembled; I care that it works, and that the people that sell it, support it!
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
The smoker to start with, the company to grow with.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »
This may seem a little "off topic," but is for Wolfdog.  When I joined, in June 2013, the first pic shows the forum stats on that date.  As you can see, we had 155 members and less than 700 posts.  Today, with the help of you, we have 699 members and just under 11,000 posts!  That kind of incredible growth in a year doesn't come about with "dissatisfied" owners!  I look at this every now and then, and can't believe how far we've come!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mnsmoker

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »
Something to think about....you can always cook less with a bigger smoker but not more on a smaller one.
Jim from Minnesota

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 11:43:01 PM »
That is a lot of growth.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bigbassnutt

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:53 AM »
Welcome Wolfdog, I have the model 2 with Auber and it's great. Built like a tank, and makes great food with very little effort or wood. Won't be disappointed with any of these models. Also the guys on here can answer any questions you may have, Mike
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

es1025

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
Wolfdog
I would go with the #2 if you can swing it. Larger heating element and larger cooking surface.

The auber is also a nice addition for the future.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »
Hey Wolfdog, welcome to the forum. The SI units are ridiculously built like a tank and you will not be disappointed. I have the #3 and it is my pride and joy. At times my wife thinks I am crazy, but all is forgiven when she taste that great Q that these units produce.

I can personally guarantee that you will not regret it or look back once you set your eyes on your new smoker. And once your family, friends and neighbours see it, they too will be believers.

I also agree with going with a bigger capacity if you can.  The price difference is not that much more considering what you get (the #2 and 3 have higher heating elements).
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

niceguy0427

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
Hello wolfdog and welcome to the forum from Idaho. Most of the time I cook for two (my wife and me). Today I'm cooking for 4 and hopefully have some leftovers. I debated on whether to go with the model 1 or model 2. I could afford it so I went with the model 2 and I have no regrets. It gives me a little larger capacity if I need it. It took some practice (I usually smoke small quantities of meat) and with help from some members on this forum, I think I have it figured out now. I had never smoked anything before getting this smoker. You can't go wrong with this smoker. My wife loves it - she is always asking me to smoke something!!   
Don - Idaho
Model#2