Author Topic: Chunks vs chips in a #2?  (Read 2647 times)

slojoe

Chunks vs chips in a #2?
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:25 AM »
I'm prepping for the arrival of my #2, found I have 5 bags of various firespice chips from Weber. Question.. can the chips be used in the same way as chunks as to weight in the smoke box?  Hate to waste any thing.  Thanks.

Walt

Re: Chunks vs chips in a #2?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
Absolutely.  Joe, I prefer to use the chips with the chip screen when doing low temp smokes like fish, jerky or cold smokes like cheese.  They will work fine for standard smokes but because of the additional surface area of the wood exposed to the heat, the chips will smolder quicker than the chunks making them perfect for the low temp smokes.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »
I always use chips and the chip screen for low temp smokes but also soak the chips. If I divide the chips and soak them 60, 30, & 10 minutes. Those piles are placed in different spots in the fire box. I think this gives me a long slow smoke without flare ups.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »
I agree with the others.

They are best for lower temp and/or shorter smokes.

For longer/higher temp smokes I would still use chunks.

I have on occasion used a combination of chips and chunks with good results as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

slojoe

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
Thanks all, looks like all I need now is the smoker.

es1025

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »
You can use the chips. I am a chunks smoker. Have not had any issues, i do modify to about 1oz in weight for more consistent smoking.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »
I'm a chunk guy, 100%.  Nothing wrong with chips - just never felt the need for them.  Even for low-temp smoking, I just split a couple of chunks into smaller chunks.  Others, as you see, use them - so absolutely, try them for yourself.  Just remember - you need a chip screen or foil-line the smoke box before using chips, or they'll fall through the holes in the bottom. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!