Author Topic: Front shelf on cart  (Read 4022 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Front shelf on cart
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:18:40 AM »
I have a #3 and currently use it without a cart. I find that I have to put a pan or meat lug in front of the smoker to catch drips when the shelves are pulled out for loading or unloading.

I am considering the cart for my #3 but think that without a front shelf to hold a pan under the pulled out racks, it will likely have drips all down the front of the cart and on my deck.

If you are using a cart, has this a problem for you? Do you think a third shelf in the front would be a good idea or optional add on?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:45:32 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Front shelf on cart
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »
Hey Brain,

I also have a #3 and I was having the same issue. As a temporary solution, I face the front of the smoker towards the lawn over my patio, any drippings fall on my lawn.  When I don't have that option, I sometimes place a flat tray or cookie sheet on the ground in front of the smoker before I pull the shelves out.

Longer term, I plan on incorporating something more permanent when I redo my patio.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
How about one of those BBQ grill mats you get at Lowe's?  You know - it's just a black vinyl mat that goes under your grill.  They're vinyl, and clean easy.  I use one under the Weber gasser, and it's great.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:26:58 PM »
I had thought about the mat. Right now the smoker is on the deck (wood) and the meat lug works fine. I am wondering if people with the carts are getting drips and gunk on the front of the cart. Seems like a shelf on the front would make sense even it it was an optional add-on.
- Sigmund Freud

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
A sliding tray that comes out the front would be sweet... But I kind of think at some point too much is too much...I cannot believe I would ever write such a thing.

My point is a shelf in the front would be more harm than good... As you know at some point we gotta grab the racks, the meet, etc.

Personally.... What I do...is I never use the bottom shelf... So if I have a real messy job... I slide out the bottom rack and place a cooking sheet on it temporarily.... Seems to work.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Big Fish

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
First world problems.  :o  I usually have my 3 dogs following me to the smoker and the drippings usually don't make it to the deck.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
I don't trust my lab that close to the smoker. If I dropped a six pound butt she would snag it.
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
Like Divot, I put a grill mat in front of my #2 and under the front wheels...this catches pretty much everything when I pull out the shelves.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Jackie

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
I built my cabinet over sized with the smoker recessed just a little so any drips would  stay on top.  I also have an over sized drip pan that goes under the regular drip pan.  I have gotten drips on the floor from pulling out the racks, so I may get a mat as well.
Jackie from South Carolina
Gamecocks are Smoking