Author Topic: New Smoker's Here!  (Read 17641 times)

CarlosJ

Re: New Smoker's Here!
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:45 AM »
My second brisket is only moments away from getting slapped in the smoker.  I'm thinking all the great advice I got in this thread from you guys will make for a perfect specimen. 

I told the guys at work I'd bring some in if it was worthy.   :D

Cheers!

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »
Welcome Carlos... You will find good information here because these guys know what they are talking about...
They have helped me out tremendously.
Enjoy your Smokin-it smoker...
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »
My second brisket is only moments away from getting slapped in the smoker.  I'm thinking all the great advice I got in this thread from you guys will make for a perfect specimen. 

I told the guys at work I'd bring some in if it was worthy.   :D

Cheers!

Trust me, it will DEFINITELY be worthy!  They won't know what hit 'em! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

CarlosJ

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 06:47:04 AM »
Well, the 2nd brisket was good.  Good, but not perfect the way I'm used to smoking brisket on a traditional smoker.  While it's somewhat moist, it's still coming out a tad on the dry side where there isn't fat in close proximity, and the point meat doesn't fall apart like it should.  The flat was to dry to eat, even as chop with BBQ sauce.

I have a couple of questions...

1.  Is internal temperature more important, or time (i.e. 1.5hrs per lb)? I used to do it by time and it came out perfect.  I haven't done that yet with my new little friend.  I've been removing it at 190, wrapping it, and letting it sit for an hour or so.
2.  What are your thoughts on removing the brisket once it reaches around 165 or so, double wrapping it tightly in foil, and putting it back in the smoker until it gets to 190 (or reaches the desired cook time)?
3.  The 2nd brisket had a stall from hell...the temperature actually dropped.  I checked it once and it was 185.  The next time I checked it 45 minutes later it was at 170.  Is that normal?
4.  What about flipping the brisket after a time and putting the fat side down?  I've never done this, but read that it helps prevent the meat from drying out once the fat has rendered into it.
5.  What about lowering the temp to 200 and letting it cook longer?  I've been doing 225.

I bought a third brisket (yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment) the other day.  I split the point and the flat, cooking the flat on Wednesday afternoon.  I pulled the flat and wrapped it at around 175, letting it sit for 1.5hrs.  It was decent...but not as good as I'd like. (I pulled the 2nd one at 190 and rested it).

Tomorrow I'm slapping in the point.  So many questions!

Do I do strictly time?
Do I flip it?
Do I wrap it after it gets to 165?
Do I do a lower temp to 200 & cook for a longer time?
Do I start it in the smoker, wrap it, and finish it in the oven?

Aaaannyyywayyyy....

Walt

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 08:52:42 AM »
Its all about the IT, period.  If you want moist, then brine it.  After its brined, inject it, apply your binder & rub & let it sit @ least 12 hrs..  Stay @ 225 there is no need to go lower & i definately would NOT  go higher.  Fat side up!  No wrapping!  This will give you exactly what your looking for.  The multi day prep is easy, although I hear hesitation from others to do so.  I have never had a dry brisket done this way & the brineing causes the fat to dissolve once on your tongue.  Also, i cook brisket to an IT of 200.  Still very moist.  All my guests rave about the moisture, tenderness & flavor.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:56:39 AM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »
I believe Smokster (Toronto Tony) just tried the brineing with very good results.  Maybe Tony can chime in. The injecting really adds the flavor to the meat. 
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »
Carlos, without brining, I've always had the best success with full packers.  Flats are tough to smoke alone, without extra prep work.  I inject, let sit overnight, then smoke @ 225 for IT 195.  Never had a dry one yet.  I believe these smokers absolutely perform the best with as little "human intervention" as possible...close that door, and don't open it until you're at your IT.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

CarlosJ

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »
Walt:  Thanks.  I’ll do that next time around.  I don’t have a big enough container for the point I have in the fridge right now. I never had to brine a brisket in traditional smokers, but I’ll do just that if that’s what it takes.  I absolutely have to have moist brisket. I’ve also read mixed opinions on brining.  But…if that’s what I gots to do get a moist, fally-aparty brisket out of the little dude, I will do just that.

Tony: Thanks for the words.  I’m going to buy a container to brine in today on Amazon.  I honestly have left the previous two briskets alone (i.e. I haven't opened the door).  One of them had a stall from hell.  I checked the temp at one point and it was 185.  I went back about 30 minutes later and it was at 173 or so.  I let it come up to 190, but it was reallllyyyyy dry.  I have learned to smoke the flat and the point separately in this smoker.  I’ll do a full-packer next time.  My last one was 10.5lbs.  I’ll go to the meat counter and have them pull me a nice big one.

I’ll figure this little dude out if it kills me.  I’m having a great time, and not all of the brisket is dry, so I’m getting a heapin’ helpin’ of smoked bovine, and there ain’t nothin’ wrong with that, now is there?  Plus, my girlfriend is out of town for three weeks, so I don’t have to worry anyone telling me how much time and money I’m “wasting”   ;)

Cheers!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »
ZipLock has on their site 3, 10 and 20 gallon bags if you want to brine and don't have a large container or fridge space. Bag it  and chuck it in a cooler with ice.  Just an option for folks with space problems.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Walt

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »
Tony,

You havn't brined a brisket yet? :(
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
Tony,

You havn't brined a brisket yet? :(

No, I want to, though.  I haven't really been pressed to do it, since they're plenty moist with the injection and rub.  I need to do one for comparison, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2014, 05:34:06 PM »
Pork shoulder was really good before you started brineing.  Hmmm....
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »
Pork shoulder was really good before you started brineing.  Hmmm....

Oh, I totally agree with you, Walt.  I was planning on brining a flat a couple of weeks ago until I saw how high brisket has jumped in price - yikes!  I'll be holding-off on the briskies until they get a little more reasonable.  Just not going to pay almost $50 for a flat!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

CarlosJ

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »
Just not going to pay almost $50 for a flat!!

Holy cow!  That's insane.  I thought prices were expensive down here!  I paid about $40 for a whole brisket the other day.