Author Topic: New Smoker's Here!  (Read 17640 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: New Smoker's Here!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 12:33:17 PM »
I place the probe in the thickest part, where the point joins the flat.  225 all the way for me - low and slow! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

CarlosJ

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
Thermometer read 190 after 7.5hrs.  Maybe I went too deep or too shallow with it.  I cut the meat into two parts,  and put one on each shelf.  Maybe it's just not.  Thinking about taking it out at 9hrs.

Thoughts?

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »
Did you put the probe in the thickest half?  In the #1, I cut them in half, lengthwise, and put the point end on the lower shelf with the probe.  You might want to confirm the temp in the thick end.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

CarlosJ

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
Thanks DivotMaker.  I did cut it in half lengthwise.  I put the point half on the top shelf and put the probe in the thickest point...Might not have got it planted right.  I'll give it 9hrs and then open the door and manually check with the probe. 

CarlosJ

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »
Ok.  Took it out at exactly 9hrs.  A perfect 190 degrees at the thickest point.  When I stuck the fork in the pieces to drop them into the pan, well, the fork went in it like a hot knife through butter.  They're wrapped in foil resting now.  Beautiful pieces of meat. I'll post pictures when I slice it.

I think I'm really gonna like this little dude!

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »
Sounds like you have it figured-out, Carlos!  Yeah, the little dude is awesome! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

CarlosJ

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 09:03:10 AM »
The brisket came out very good!!

As DivotMaker stated in a previous post, the point should've gone on the bottom rack.  I put mine on the top.  As a result, the flat was a tad dry, though still good.  The bark on the bottom of the flat; however, was inedible - just to hard.  The point was absolutely perfect.  Lesson learned!  :)

I might do a brisket next weekend and take it into work, since my coworkers have been listening to me yap for the past few weeks about the smoker - reading reviews, contemplating purchase, waiting for delivery, preparing for my first smoke, etc.  The running joke around the office was, "Hey, I heard you're getting a new smoker." or "Did I tell you I got a new smoker?"

I'm doing a chicken today or tomorrow. 

All in all, I'm very pleased with my new smoker.  It's the perfect size for us, and it's SO EASY!!

Thanks for all the feedback!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »
It looks really good, Carlos!  Two minor suggestions, from your pic of the open smoker.  One - put your juice pan on the floor of the smoker, right up against the smoke box.  The idea is for it to heat and give off steam - it doesn't do that very well, hanging from the shelf.  The other suggestion is to always put your shelves as high as possible.  The heat is much more stable near the top of the box.  Having the flat way down low, right above the smoke box, probably also contributed to it getting cooked a lot faster.  Put the shelf with the flat as high as possible, without touching the top, and the point section right below, as high as possible to the top shelf.  I know these points may seem minor, but they will help on your next one.
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 05:16:48 PM »
+1 on what Tony said.

That flat was way to close to the heat. I think even the point at that level would have been a bit dry.

Two minor but very important things that I think will really make the difference on your next attempt.

Good job though. For a first attempt, it looks like you did everything else right.

It looks like other than a harder/blacker outside, the inside was still pretty juicy.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »
Carlos, for a first attempt, you did a great job. I am a summing that the pic of your end result is of the point and it looks really tender and juicy.  I'm planning on smoking a brisket next weekend and learned a lot from this post.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

bigbassnutt

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
That last pic looks pretty moist! I haven't tried a brisket yet mainly because I have only ever tried eating it twice in bbq joints and it was dry both times, but after seeing some of the pics on here I am gonna have to give it a shot.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

CarlosJ

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
DivotMaker: Thanks for the tips!  I’m writing all this stuff down for my next smoke!
NDKoze:  Thanks to you as well.  The inside was very juicy.  Just had a bit of it for a late breakfast!
Smokster:  Thank you.  I’m looking forward to my next one coming out even better with all the tips I’ve received here!
Bigassnutt:  Yes, do one.  Love ‘em.  I’m fortunate to live in an area of Texas where there are AMAZING BBQ joints everywhere.  Dry brisket in Texas is a cardinal sin for sure. 

Some of the places I recommend if any of you ever come to San Antonio or Austin:

The Salt Lick – Driftwood, Texas.  Great BBQ, and an amazing location!
Maywald’s Sisterdale Smokehouse – Sisterdale, Texas
Kreuz Market – Lockhart, Texas
Blacks Barbecue – Lockhart, Texas
Smitty’s Market – Lockhart, Texas

Even the big chain BBQ joint here is really, really good – Rudy’s BBQ.  They’re in AZ and OK too.

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »
We're all about helping each other on the journey to "Q-vana," Carlos!  That's how we roll around here!

Yep, some amazing Q joints in Texas.  I've eaten at lots of them throughout west and south Texas, but (unfortunately) have never had the pleasure of hitting the famous ones you listed!  Bucket list stuff, there! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

CarlosJ

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »
"Q-Vana."  Nice!

Just took a fat chicken out of the smoker and stuffed my pie hole full of it.  Brined it in a bowl with salt, garlic powder and ground oregano for three hours.  It sat in the fridge overnight.

Today I took it out and stuffed it with fresh rosemary, basil and tomatoes from my garden.  Stuck some celery, onion and carrot in there too, along with four cloves of smashed garlic and some whole coriander seeds.  I made a rub with olive oil, marjoram, thyme, garlic powder, salt, basil, ground oregano, pepper, and a couple of other things I can't remember. 

I moved the water reservoir up against the heating element as you suggested, DivotMaker (Is it Tony?).

Anyway...I'm full to the gills right now and enjoying life muchly...

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
Gotta love some chicken!  I don't even use a water pan with chicken, since the skin needs to dry, and won't absorb moisture.  Yeah, it's Tony - one of the few around here! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas