Author Topic: New Smoker's Here!  (Read 17642 times)

CarlosJ

New Smoker's Here!
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »
I got my #1 last week and, after a long weekend of manual labor, helping my daughter-in-law paint the interior of her new house, I'm ready to get down to some smoking and just got done seasoning my new friend. 

I'd been procrastinating getting a smoker for years.  Being in south central Texas, I really really wanted to get myself a high-end, three-chamber New Braunfels Smoker for about $1K.  But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized I wasn't going to be smoking for loads of people like I used to, so I did a LOT of research and reading, and decided to go with Smokin-It.

I've read a lot about smoking brisket (my favorite smoking meat) here today, and see that the techniques are as varied as the clouds in the sky.  Lots of good information, some of which I'll likely incorporate in my technique.  I don't have hand-written recipes, but once I get my brain wrapped around the #1 I'll make note of the marinade ingredients and rub, and post it in the recipes forum.

I am really looking forward to smoking a fat brisket this weekend!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: New Smoker's Here!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
Welcome to the party, Carlos!  You'll be amazed at how easy this is, compared to traditional smokers.  Let us know how we can help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:45:35 AM »
Welcome Carlos.  I'm cooking one, a flat, as well tomorrow.  Lots of good info on here.  Let us kniw how itvturns out.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

CarlosJ

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:05:53 AM »
Thanks guys.  One quick question -

Is there a rule for how much wood per lb of brisket?

Walt

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 09:21:22 AM »
5 to 6 ounces of wood is all thats needed for large cuts of meet like brisket or butt.  I have 5.5 oz in now cooking a 6 lb flat that I just started.  It should take about 8 hours for it to reach 200 IT (the temp my family likes it cooked to).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:24:35 AM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
Anything more than 6 oz would be too much smoke. For ribs, 2 - 2.5 oz is enough. After a few tries you can adjust to your preference as everyone taste is different.  All meats will only absorb the smoke until it reaches a specific internal temperature.

As well, these units retain moisture and smoke so well, that you don't need much wood or to "reload" the smoker box.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

CarlosJ

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 05:30:56 AM »
Excellent. Thanks.  What about timing the smoke?  Is there a per-pound recommendation for brisket? 

Or...I can put a temperature probe down the chimney and just go with that.

vetkilr

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 08:24:24 AM »
temp probe works awesome...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:36 PM »
Carlos - low and slow is definitely the key with briskies, so 225 for the smoker temp.  As a rule, you can plan time at 1.5 - 2 hours per pound, but it may take a little more or less.  Sometimes, the large cuts have their own timetable on when they'll be done, and the don't tell us.

Go with the thermometer through the blow hole, and take it to internal temp of 195.  No foiling necessary - just set and forget.  Be ready for the "stall," which typically lasts for hours.  Just let it ride, and don't adjust anything.

Good luck!  (Although I believe a good plan and execution do away with the need for luck) ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
Hey Tony, which end do you place your probe, the thick end or the thin end?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:19:06 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

CarlosJ

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 05:31:40 AM »
Thanks DivotMaker!

I got an 8.75lb beauty (flat & point) yesterday.  It's been marinating all night.  I'll be pulling it out, patting it off, and putting a rub on it at around 630am.  Really looking forward to this.  I haven't been this geeked up about a new toy for a long time!

CarlosJ

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 08:41:57 AM »
Okay. It's in.  7:22am Central Time.  8.75lbs of flat & point, marinaded and rubbed, with 6.5oz of the wood shipped with the smoker.  Put about a cup of water and 1/8 cup of spiced rum in the pan for moisture.

Now...to make a batch of creamed corn for when my GF gets back from Austin this evening!

mnsmoker

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
The good news about your new toy is you'll stay geeked up for a very long time , had my #2 for 6 months and still get excited planning smokes, just so easy to throw something on, we have become quite popular as there is always left over Q in the fridge!!!!
Jim from Minnesota

Walt

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »
@ 225 I expect it should take about 12 hours to reach 195-200.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

es1025

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 11:10:06 AM »
I read an article stating 250 is the best temperature for brisket.  I like 240 but that my perspective.  I also like to pull the brisket at 185 and let if rest. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?