Author Topic: Auber Help  (Read 8303 times)

es1025

Auber Help
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
I am making a brisket today and using the auber for the first time.

I set the temp for 248 and so far the auber has yet to hit 230.  It there a problem?  The probes are in the right position and the controller on the smoker is maxed.

What am I doing wrong?

I am 2.5 hours into the smoke.  Is is normal for the light on the smoker to go on and off?
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

es1025

Re: Auber Help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Here was the program

C01 248
E01 2.0
C02 248
E02 f 185.

The smoker is turning on and off. Highest temp is 230.

Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »
Ed, it sounds like your stock controller and Auber are competing for control, but I'm not certain.  I've only used the Auber with a bypassed smoker, and never have any issues with it not getting up to temp.  Did you do an autotune on the Auber?  And, if so, are you putting your box temp probe in the same place as when you did the autotune?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GeeBee

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »
...and yes, it's normal for the light on the smoker to go on and off. It should be synced with the little green light on the front of the Auber. This indicates your heating element is turning on and off, which is to be expected, to maintain a set temp. Can't help with the "not getting up to temp" part. My #2 is bypassed.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

es1025

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
Tony or anyone else
Can someone provide me some pictures to bypass the controller.

Its a shame the controller and auber are fighting each other.

Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 01:28:32 PM »
Ed, I haven't been able to get pics of the controller yet, but there should only be two spade lugs on it, with wires going to each side of the element.  Pull both spade connectors off, and connect them with a small jumper wire.  For the jumper, use a 1 1/2" section of #12 wire with male spade connectors crimped on each end, then cover the bridge with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.  Sorry I don't have pics - maybe Steve or Rick do.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
The smoker is turning on and off. Highest temp is 230.

I've done dozen and dozens of smokes and I've never had the controllers interfere with each other as long as the stock controller was turned all the way up  and the PID wasn't set above 250 degrees(no bypass here.)

Now, what I have had happen that is consistent with your description is when something is close to the stock temperature sensor (a pan, a piece of meat or whatever) and funnels heat over the sensor (creating a hot spot) the element will cycle on and off in exactly the way that you've described.

Actually, it doesn't really need to be real close to the sensor, it just has to funnel the heat over the sensor to create a problem.

I hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:23:13 PM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

es1025

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 07:41:08 AM »
Thanks.

I did have the probe next to the meat.

Do you recommend keeping the probe on a different  shelf?

I ended up turning off the auber and finished the traditional method. Turned out pretty good.
Ed from Northern NJ

es1025

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:47:33 AM »
I ran some tests yesterday.

On the third level, the max temp was 275, empty box. I was really concerned something might be wrong with the thermostat. No issues.

Once i return from texas later this week, i am going to test the auber without food.  My thought was to attached the auber probe to the 2nd lowest shelf.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 08:23:29 PM »
I ran some tests yesterday.

On the third level, the max temp was 275, empty box. I was really concerned something might be wrong with the thermostat. No issues.

Once i return from texas later this week, i am going to test the auber without food.  My thought was to attached the auber probe to the 2nd lowest shelf.

Ed, I'll get a bypass instruction sheet together this weekend - finally!  This will be just basics, with good pics, not one that includes Steve's famous "Master Arm" switch.  It's really quite simple, and once you see some pics, you'll be surprised.

I, for one, believe the bypass is well-worth the effort.  Along with the permanent probe, it takes the smoker to a whole new level of accuracy that no one else has.
Tony from NW Arkansas

GeeBee

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
Ed I think the general consensus of opinion here is that temps in an empty box fluctuate way to much and are pretty meaningless. You did find out that your heating element is working OK, which is a good thing. Before I did the permanent probe install, I would just drop the probe down the smoke hole and let it dangle at the same level as the meat. Make sure it doesn't touch anything (like the metal shelf) as that will give you a false reading. I've seen some interesting mounting options here by others. I think it was Tex that had one I really liked. A small chunk of wood with a hole that he stuck the probe in, then set the wood on the correct shelf.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

johnnytex

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 10:28:52 AM »
Yes, that works great.
I also put a cup hook on the wood block so it would hang below the shelf.
Tex From Ennis, TX

es1025

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
All

I am trying to test the the auber today.

I set the cabinet probe using a cup hook and a block of wood, plugged the #3 into the auber and then plugged into the outlet.

Hopefully I can have the temperature dialed in.

BTW, I just realized you need both probes connected for the auber to work.

I was trying to just use the cabinet probe.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:46:18 AM by es1025 »
Ed from Northern NJ

es1025

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »
Ok, here are the results of the test.

Set the Auber for 248.

The temperature went to above 252 before declining to 230 then turning back on again.  Is this normal?

Maybe bypassing the controller will eliminate this issue?

I noticed the light on the smoker went off at 244.

It's disappointing that the temperature is not maintaining the 248 I was requesting.  Maybe the temp swings will be better if I chose a lower temp.

Right now, I am very disappointed in the product and contemplating returning to the manufacturer.

Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »
Ed,

I posted instructions for the bypass, at the top of the Auber section.  Also - did you ever perform an autotune?  I suspect that's a big part of your problem, if you didn't.  The Auber comes programmed for the Bradley, so it needs to be tuned to your box. 
Tony from NW Arkansas