Author Topic: Auber fixed probe compared to corded one  (Read 9580 times)

al_sfbay

Auber fixed probe compared to corded one
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
Who has a fixed probe out there?  I have a few questions as I am trying to decide to do that.  First off where did you place it and how?  Secondly do you know how much variation you have in the smoker?  I have a #2 and am considering a fixed probe, but would like to know more before making that decision.  Thanks in advance.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auber fixed probe compared to corded one
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:09:46 PM »
Hey Allison, here's some of my posts on it:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1594.0

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1595.0

and a little in this one:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1285.0

Spend some time poking around the Auber Tips and Tricks section - lots of "lessons learned" there from those of us who've worked out some of the bugs!

By the way, I LOVE the permanent probe!  Once you autotune the Auber, it absolutely eliminates errors you can get from probe placement (removable probe).  It also holds temp +/- 1°.  Works great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

al_sfbay

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »
thanks Tony, after digging around I am pretty sold on the idea.  My only hesitation is getting the buy-in from my husband who will have to do the install for me!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:26:19 PM »
Fortunately, the install isn't very difficult.  The hardest part is putting enough muscle into drilling through the stainless steel!  That stuff is hard!  Keep making him great Q, and he'll be putty in your hands! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 04:42:03 PM »
Tungsten bits will make the job easier.  Kind of pricey.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

GeeBee

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
The biggest tip I can give you is, make sure you center punch a dimple so your drill bit doesn't wander. Just as a side, I ran the wire for the permanent probe alongside the power cord and out the same factory grommet as the power cord. Saved me from drilling another hole.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:44:29 AM »
The biggest tip I can give you is, make sure you center punch a dimple so your drill bit doesn't wander. Just as a side, I ran the wire for the permanent probe alongside the power cord and out the same factory grommet as the power cord. Saved me from drilling another hole.

Great idea to run the cord out of the same hole as the power cord!

How long is the permanent probe cord though? I am just wondering because of Auber placement if there would be enough cord from the permanent probe to be flexible where the Auber sits.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 10:55:01 PM »

Great idea, Gary!  Don't know why I didn't think of that!  Geez...forest for the trees thing, I guess!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »

Great idea to run the cord out of the same hole as the power cord!

How long is the permanent probe cord though? I am just wondering because of Auber placement if there would be enough cord from the permanent probe to be flexible where the Auber sits.

I believe it's 6' long, so this will still be plenty.
Tony from NW Arkansas

johnnytex

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
What I did was to remove the old controller and run the probe wire through it.
Tex From Ennis, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
Hey Tex - good to see you again!  Do you mean the removable probe that comes with the Auber?  I know you hang yours with the little wood block.  Auber makes a permanent mount that has a nylon base, so you don't get the heat sink effect of the smoker walls.  It's a great concept, and in reality is fantastic.  Check out the links I put up above.  Let us know what you think, as one of our Auber pioneers! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

mnsmoker

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 06:16:19 PM »
I have the #2 and went with the permanent probe as per Tony's install post even went with parameters from Tony's auto tune, so simple, I also went out the bottom corner so only drilled the one hole, the whole process took about 1 hour. Everyone who has witnessed this thing in action is impressed, common responses are WOW !!! were can I get this exact setup. Asolutely love using this smoker after 10 years on stick burners and propane have truly found a renewed passion and the forum is the icing on the cake, never looked back!!!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:12:26 PM »
That's awesome, Jim!  I think you've given the first feedback on the fixed probe (other than me).  I'm amazed how accurate it holds temp.  Every time I look, it's dead-on set temp, and sometimes a degree off.  Crazy stable!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »
Credit also goes to these amazing smokers. So easy to use by simply following methods on this forum.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
Absolutely, Tony!  Good tools make the work easy! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas