Author Topic: Just got it!  (Read 6087 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Just got it!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »
Congrats on the salmon, Allison! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »
Hey Allison, I have been tempted to smoke salmon however there are not a lot of posts on the topic. Please do share you method and recipes in the fish section of the forum.

As well, have you ever used the same smoker the you smoke salmon in for smoker meat afterwards? Does the salmon smell get absorbed onto the meat? If so, how do you prevent that from happening?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

al_sfbay

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »
Tony, I must admit, one smoke at a time is enough for me.  The only thing that seems to be a little smelly after I smoke salmon are the frog mats I use on the grates.  The racks themselves don't pic up any odor. 

Walt

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
I have never had any smell residual from the fish.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
Thanks Allison and Walt.  Your answers provide great feedback as I have unsuccessfully posted this question before.  I will attempt salmon in the near future.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
The Frog mats- I had not heard of them until you made this post. They look ideal for small items possibly jerky made from a cannon and not whole slices. What do you gain using them with a large cut of meat like your salmon?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
If you have never done salmon you owe it to yourself to try it I've done a few times now and it is unreal the Auber makes you seem like an absolute artist, I've got so many requests from freinds to make them some I'll be doing it many more times. I'll try to find the site I found the perfect recipe on and post it so everyone can enjoy this addition to an already great hobby.
Jim from Minnesota

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
If you have never done salmon you owe it to yourself to try it I've done a few times now and it is unreal the Auber makes you seem like an absolute artist, I've got so many requests from freinds to make them some I'll be doing it many more times. I'll try to find the site I found the perfect recipe on and post it so everyone can enjoy this addition to an already great hobby.

Jim, regarding the killer recipe, is it a cold smoke recipe or are you smokin to a specific temp?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It