Author Topic: Just got it!  (Read 6086 times)

al_sfbay

Just got it!
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:10:06 PM »
I just got my # 2, wohoo!  Unfortunately the cart has a dent on the side and the inside of the smoker is rusty!   Has anybody else seen these?  I have tried to call Smokin It,  but no luck.  I left 2 messages but they haven't gotten back to me. 

I was still able to assemble the cart, in spite of the dent, the first disappointment.  but I wanted to season the smoker and I can't decide if  I should do something about the  rust or not.  Any advice? 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Just got it!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
Welcome, and congrats!  Sorry about the dent - that's FedEx for you!  Not sure what to think about rust inside the smoker, since they're solid stainless steel.  Are you sure it's not just discoloration on the surface?  Before seasoning, I'd probably just scrub the inside down with a steel wool or ScotchBright pad, then season.  I'm not there to see it, so posting a picture of the "rust" might be helpful.  Whatever it is, I'm sure it's just on the surface...like I said, stainless steel. 

Steve will get back with you - they've been moving and out of town this week.  I'm pretty sure he's back at it tomorrow.  He probably has 100 voicemails! 

Let us know how we can help - that's how we roll around here! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

al_sfbay

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
Thanks for the words.  You know the strange thing about the dent is there was no signs in the packaging either outside or inside of any damage so I didn't even see it until I began to put it together.  It looks as if it was packed that way.  As for the rust, there is a reason they call it stain-less and not stain-free.  Different grades of stainless have different rusting characteristics.  In this case it appears to radiate from the weld to the post that holds the rack holders.  I am including a picture of the dent as well as the rust.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
Looks like the rust is on the welding rod slag from where they attached parts (pegs, joints).  Clean it off with a ScotchBright pad and season.  It won't hurt anything, and it won't return, once seasoned.  As far as the damaged cart - call Steve tomorrow, or send him an email (smokin.it.info@gmail.com).  He'll get back with you.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

al_sfbay

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:27:35 PM »
thanks, thats what I wanted to hear so that I can season it tonite.  Look out this weekend, I see a brisket in my near future!

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
Nice!  Depending on your past smoking experience, you might want to try a Boston butt or some ribs for the inaugural smoke.  Nothing wrong with a brisket, for sure; just a little tougher smoke.  Check out the brisket recipes under Beef - we have some great stuff there!  Good luck, and let us know how we can help!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »
By the way - no need to foil, or have the shelves in, when seasoning.  Just put about 3 of the hickory dowels in, crank it to 250, and let it ride for about 4 hours.  You'll smell it go from machine oil to sweet, sweet hickory! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

al_sfbay

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »
I have some experience smoking and have done a brisket before.  I limped along with a Bradley for 7 months and then finally gave up on it.  I just couldn't get it to come up to temp (225) if there was more than a rack of ribs in it.  I think the door was warped so heat was constantly escaping and as a result it kept burning out the heating element.  Also if there was the slighted breeze, forget it.  What I didn't know before I bought it was that it wasn't insulated.  But I did get some good smokes too. here is the beginning of my last Bradley smoke, 4 racks of baby backs.

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »
Welcome to the Big Leagues, Al!  You'll see a big difference with the #2!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

al_sfbay

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 11:25:18 PM »
thanks Tony, but  I think I'm still on the farm team!

Allison

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
Did you get it seasoned, Allison?
Tony from NW Arkansas

al_sfbay

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 12:46:14 AM »
Seasoned up nicely. 
Now things have changed a bit for the "virgin smoke"  I just came home with a 13 lb salmon.  So guess who is going to smoke salmon tomorrow.  I tend to brine first then let it dry out and make a nice pellicle, then into the box she will go.     

After all you have to be flexible, don't you.  The brisket can wait.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 08:51:54 AM »
Would love to see some pics of the salmon!  Welcome, Allison...Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »
Flexibility is the key! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

al_sfbay

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 01:24:46 AM »
WOHOO!  salmon was great!  I brined it first then let it dry for 6 hrs.  brushed it with maple syrup and smoked at 150 for 2 1/2 hrs, 3 oz apple wood.  when I reached 145 IT, I pulled it and tented it until cool.  Unfortunately I sealed it up in a vacuum bags before remembering to take pics.  Oh well next smoke.... and there will be more.