Author Topic: 1st Smoke  (Read 12001 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1st Smoke
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 10:44:36 PM »
Wow, I learn something new everyday on this forum.  I have never heard of this method until I read it on this post and googled it.

Check out the "All that's delicious" section.  I helped kick-start the dry age movement with this post:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1309.0

Walt, and others, have taken it to a whole new level!!  Pretty soon, I think one of them will go for 100-day steaks!  lol!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 09:32:58 AM »
Not knocking the bags the are pretty sweet. I am bless with my set up. It started as a small closet size space to hide and muffler the sump pump but it has turned into a huge benefit. On a whim I checked the temp and humidity and I was in business. I do not use it outside of the October-March window. It is very consistent then. I should get some bags for summertime aging in the fridge.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
Currently on my third dry aged beef roast, first one was a 21 day ribeye second was a 30 day NY strip and this one is a 14 pound ribeye going for 45 days, am totally ruined when it comes to normal steaks, everyone who trys the aged steaks agrees...... fabulous!!! I just have to quit giving so many away and having so many people over, just showing off I guess!!!! Next time I cook a few I'm going to try a light 30 minute smoke at 145 or so, has anyone tried this?
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
Currently on my third dry aged beef roast, first one was a 21 day ribeye second was a 30 day NY strip and this one is a 14 pound ribeye going for 45 days, am totally ruined when it comes to normal steaks, everyone who trys the aged steaks agrees...... fabulous!!! I just have to quit giving so many away and having so many people over, just showing off I guess!!!! Next time I cook a few I'm going to try a light 30 minute smoke at 145 or so, has anyone tried this?

You're my hero, Jim (well, you and Walt - he's tearing-up the dry-aging, too)!  There are some old posts about smoking steaks in the beef section; just do a search.  Seems you don't want them to go over 100 IT, then finish on the grill.  I would like to try cold smoking some for a couple of hours, then grill.  I get a little lazy with steaks - I usually just put a couple of hickory or mesquite chunks on the grill and let them get a little smoke while grilling.

I want to dry-age a big sirloin tip roast.  I bet it would come out like prime rib (but a whole lot cheaper!). 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:27 PM »
Tony, thanks for the reference to the 'All that's Delicious' section. I'm definately going to get my brother 'the butcher' hook me up with a nice chunk of meat to dry age once I get my hands on those dry bags.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
No problem, Tony!  Great stuff!

p.s. - My apologies to Jackie for hijacking his post.  :-[   We took a question about vac sealers and turned it into a discussion on dry-aging.  We'll try to do better, Jackie!

Has your smoker arrived, and is it seasoned? 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Jackie

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
I enjoyed the direction of the post.  I know very little about dry aging.
Jackie from South Carolina
Gamecocks are Smoking

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »
I enjoyed the direction of the post.  I know very little about dry aging.

I appreciate that, Jackie!  It's just good forum etiquette to not take someone's post in a whole different direction, and really, a new discussion.  Thanks for the understanding!  Every now and then, even those of us who know better get excited about a topic and run with it!  Hard not to, I guess! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas