Author Topic: Foil- the other F word  (Read 5382 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Foil- the other F word
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:56:43 AM »
I truly believe it is genetically impossible for two men to stand in close proximity to each other while one of them is cooking at a grill, campfire or smoker. Think about it, it always drives the guy not cooking nuts because the other person is doing it "wrong". Sometimes "wrong" is just different but I think foil is wrong. If you take offense to the following you need to seek professional help, I am just trying to make a point from my perspective.

So I do kinda have a strong opinion on foil. I believe it is fantastic for after the cooking is complete. But my opinion is foil does not belong on food in a smoker while it's cooking. The entire point of having a smoker is to taste SMOKE. Yes  your beloved foil will trap moisture in and around your meat, but it blocks ALL smoke from getting to the meat.

COMMON ARGUMENTS AND ANSWERS
"I need to keep everything moist!" -  Use brine's, a flavor-savor attachment or a water/juice pan in the bottom of the smoker. If your using a drafty smoker of another brand make a flavorful "mop" and splash it on when you adjust your fire.

"It makes clean up easier!" - Yes it does that's why it goes on the BOTTOM of the smoker.

""This is how I have always done it!" - Seriously? You sound stupid, don't repeat that again.

"I like smoke but just not a lot of it" - yea pretty complex problem, try using LESS wood.

"I always foil and do the 5-2-2 or the 3-2-1" - Truly I do not know what you are talking about with this stuff, I just made those numbers up, that's how little attention I pay to it.  All that stuff sounds like work. Work is not something I enjoy. Work interrupts my lounging and beer drinking while watching beautiful smoke curls coming out of my #3. It's an SI Smoker, flavor the meat, add moisture in the SMOKER, then shut the door.  Your food will be juicy and flavorful, really it will.

"I wrap the cooked meat in foil and keep it in my smoker set on 100 to keep it warm, because my friends are always late" This is an acceptable excuse to foil meat in a smoker What is unacceptable, is either our friends suck or your Q is not as good as you think. Perhaps they are stopping for a burger on the way to your house.

Have you not been hit in the face with a burst of steam and smoke when up open your SI smoker? Yea that's your wake-up slap to loose the foil, IT'S MOIST IN THERE!

Foil is for the leftovers to keep the flies off and hide food from your mooching neighbor.

*The above listed opinions are that of the writer and not of Smokin-It or any Smokin-It representative. The use of "man or guy" is not meant as a sexist reference, the writer understands women do cook. The writer further understands that some readers may have their feelings hurt but has little empathy for their lack of a sense of humor. 
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Foil- the other F word
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
I love your sense of humour and perspective of smoking with a SI unit. I also totally agree with you!

Mental note to self - Don't stand next to Brian while he works his smoker or grill.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »
Wow, Brian!  Nice to hear another "no foil/no peeky" voice!  Almost brings a little tear to my eye!! :'(   You're absolutely dead-on!  I tried the "traditional" methods when I first got mine (things you had to do with those "drafty" smokers), but quickly realized it was a fools folly.

These "Lazy Q" smokers really break the mold on what everyone thinks they know about how to make good Q!

Oh, and I'd be proud to stand by you when you're working your magic! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »
Yea I was a little wound up on lack of sleep I was up at 0530 then started cooking at 0600. Just expressing a few thoughts.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:11:57 PM »
I understand, Brian - - Bring It! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

slojoe

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »
Dude! I am moderately impressed by your tirade, After that I ain't gonna foil, no way. We passin' a good time here in Louisiana,  :D :D

Randy

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
the only time I foil is at the end when I pull my brisket or pork.I will wrP in foil then 2 towels to rest for 1or 2 hr. Never had a dry one yet. And the big thing no peeking.
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
the only time I foil is at the end when I pull my brisket or pork.I will wrP in foil then 2 towels to rest for 1or 2 hr. Never had a dry one yet. And the big thing no peeking.

Good to see you again, Randy!  You definitely have the idea! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigfoot21075

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
MANY, MANY, MANY moons ago when I first started smoking stuff, I used to do the 3/2/1 method for ribs on my Big Green Egg (over 2 DECADES ago now)! It worked pretty well, I went 3 hours on the smoker, foiled it for 2 hours, then took it out back on the smoker for 1 hour ala Dr BBQ. I made some good ribs doing this.

Then one weekend I was getting ready to spend the day in the screen room smoking meats, I got it all lit and up to temp, put my food on then proceeded t slip on the stairs and twist my ankle but good. So I sat in the screen room with an ice pack for 6 hours without so much as looking at the ribs (the Egg is pretty much get it going and forget it for temp holding) I just assumed I would get mediocre at best ribs but did not care too much at that point. Then the wife came from work and pulled them off for me - THEY WERE FANTASTIC!

The huge difference was the bark or crust, foiling them destroys that amazing flavor and texture. I was absolutely amazed at the difference! Now I am fianlly make the FULL conversion to Lazy Q - buying an SI#3. I will now have fun prepping my food, playing with rubs and sauces, then relaxing with my guitar in the screen room. No fuss no muss!
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »
Brian, totally agree. The only thing I wonder about is how else to get my daily dose of vitamins and aluminum!  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

PhatterMike

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »
Great take on the "F" word Brian, I agree with you whole heartedly!
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4