Author Topic: bypass thermostat  (Read 8689 times)

es1025

bypass thermostat
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:41:43 AM »
All
I am contemplating purchase and auber pid. Can someone post the instructions on how to bypass the thermostat? I searched the forum and could not find the instructions. I want to see if I could execute the bypass before purchasing.  I have a #3.

any assistance would appreciated.

Ed
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: bypass thermostat
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
Hi Ed,

I am planning on getting an Auber some time in the next couple of months too.

My plan is to buy it from Auber directly because I want to install and use the permanent probe. If you buy it from Auber the permanent probe if a free substitution. Smokin-It doesn't offer an Auber with the permanent probe. So you would have to go to Auber and buy it separate. If you don't want the permanent probe, I don't think it matters where you get it.

Now on to the instructions. These are the two posts that I have bookmarked for when I get my Auber:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.0
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1594.0

Hopefully these threads will help.

Thanks to those who contributed to them.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

es1025

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
If I dont bypass I can set the temp say 245 and it will stay on the entire time? I just won't have the ability to go beyond 250.
Ed from Northern NJ

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »
Yeah, if you don't bypass just crank it up all the way to 250 and go at it.

The bypass should really only be needed if you want to be able to go above 250 which is desirable for poultry.

When I do this, I am going to add the rocker switch of some type, so I have the option of using the Auber or not.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

es1025

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
The bypass seems easy but my fear is screwing up the smoker. I have not had any bad smokes just looking to eliminate the temperature swings.
Ed from Northern NJ

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »
Heck, I would just try it without for awhile then and see how you like it.

Using the Auber without the bypass is so easy, maybe that is all you need.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
Steve is going to start offering the permanent probe soon.  It's the only way to go, in my humble opinion (having used both).

Ed - the bypass is actually pretty easy.  Just remember that your power cord has to make a loop with the element.  The black wire goes to one side, and the white wire to the other side.  Just that simple!  The permanent probe install is not bad, either (just get the right grommet size.  You'll see what I mean when you read my post on it).

You can use the Auber without the bypass, but yes, you'll be limited to 250.  This happens because the current from the Auber is going through the stock controller, so it can't go above 250.  When you take the stock controller (limiter?) out of the equation, you can run up to 350 with not problem.  (Steve said the cabinet is good up to 350, but wouldn't recommend higher).

The Auber is a great tool.  It gives accuracy and programming options you just can't get with the analog dial.  Let me know if you have other questions!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:09:25 PM »
Tony
I need some detailed pictures. I'll take the back cover off and take some pics to perform the DIY.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
Post some pics, and I'll draw you some diagrams on them.  We'll get you through this! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
I just see a bunch of wires. I know ben mentioned months ago he was going to post a step by step how to guide.

Too bad, i would have done the bypass.

Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »
Ed,  I don't have any pictures of the stock controller, since the bypass I did was on the experimental digital.  But, if you trace the wires up to the controller, you'll see that one comes from the black power wire, and one comes from the white side (the left side of the element, as you're looking at it from the back.  The controller is really just a switch - it's either open or closed.  So, to bypass it, you want to connect the two wires, from the black and white side, where they plug into the controller.  The easiest way (in case you ever want to reverse it) is to cut a piece of #12 wire about 2" long.  Then, crimp 2 male blade connectors to the ends.  This creates a bridge.  You can put a length of heat shrink sleeve over the whole thing, or just wrap it in electrical tape.  Keep the black/white bridge up high, and you won't have any problems with heat.  What you're trying to do is create a loop from the positive to the neutral side of the element.  This way, it will be controlled by the voltage sent through the power cord by the Auber. 

This may not make sense without photos or diagrams.  I'll pull the back off my #1 and take some photos, then post a step-by-step "how to." (just not today...sorry).
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »
I understand that the PID holds a consistent temp. but.... The bypassing to go above 250, what are you cooking at high heat and how high are you going?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
Brian, the box is good up to 350 (according to Steve).  I will go to 325 for the browning stage of poultry, but that's all.  The vast majority of what I smoke is done below 250.  With the PID, though, you can smoke poultry (whole chicken or turkey, not parts) at 250, or below, until it hits 140 IT, then kick up the temp to 325 to 165 IT.  It's better for browning.  By this time, the actual "smoking" is done, and you're just cooking.

I like the bypass option because it removes the stock analog controller from the equation.  I like having the Auber in complete control of the element, without passing through the stock controller.  I'm sure that, at 250 or below, the non-bypass method is fine, but I want to eliminate a point of failure and give a direct path from the Auber to the element.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
has there been failures or is this just a belt and suspenders move? Are you getting crisp skin?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

rickne

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 12:54:10 AM »
has there been failures or is this just a belt and suspenders move? Are you getting crisp skin?

I've never heard of anybody having a smoker failure due to a bypass.

I cook alot of things higher than 250.  Poultry being #1.  I do chicken and turkey at 275 or higher.  I can't get a turkey to 145 degrees withing 4 hours cooking at 225 and I'm not willing to risk spoiling food.  With that said, I have not been able to get crispy poultry skin out of the smoker.  I think it's just too moist in the cooker.

I also use it to push through a stall or hurry a cook up.

Higher temps are also helpful when cooking/smoking a lean cut of meat.  I've used higher temps for beef tenderloins and pork tenderloins.

Every smoker has it's own personality.  I know my SI#3 would not do well at 250 degrees if I used the auber without bypassing.  There would be alot of competition between controllers.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID