Author Topic: Will smoking fish leave any residual "smells"  (Read 3126 times)

SeeTrai

Will smoking fish leave any residual "smells"
« on: June 05, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »
I'm not a big fish eater but I cook it for others.  I'm wondering if i smoke some salmon in my #2, will it will any residual smells or tastes?

Best,

Chris

mnsmoker

Re: Will smoking fish leave any residual "smells"
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:25:25 PM »
I've never done salmon on my #2 either but will be doing some fresh lake michigan salmon fillets tomorrow, I had the same concerns. After your done clean out the used foil from the bottom and from the smoker box wash the racks and the bottom of the smoker and then do a dry run.....no food 4-8 ounces of wood crank it up to 250 for a couple hours and that should take care of any odors, I'm sure others that have done salmon will have other efffective ways also...hope this helps...good luck on the salmon and post some pictures !!!
Jim from Minnesota

Walt

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:31:59 PM »
I've never had a fishy smell.  Clean normally, after use (remove aluminum foil, empty / clean drip pan & wash racks).  No problem.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
I've smoked tons of salmon and other fish.  I've never had any residual fish smell. Don't let it worry you at all.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »
I've done fish, no issues.  Just change the foil and make sure you clean any racks that were in there when fish was cooked.  Side racks too, just in case.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 12:26:55 PM »
I smoke a lot of fish and have never had a problem with lingering smells. Just clean racks and change foil.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

PhatterMike

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »
I smoke 20-30 lbs at a time in a #4... Not a problem at all
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4