Author Topic: BBQ Guru CyberQ Wifi or the Auber PID or the.....?  (Read 4295 times)

Big Fish

BBQ Guru CyberQ Wifi or the Auber PID or the.....?
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Just ordered the SI#3 and wondering what you use or recommend?
BBQ Guru CyberQ Wifi or the Auber PID or the.....?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: BBQ Guru CyberQ Wifi or the Auber PID or the.....?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
Hey Ernie,

I've looked at the CyberQ, and I personally think it's overkill for the SI units.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but my take on the CQ is that it is an incredible unit for controlling temps in smokers like the Big Green Egg, due to the ability to run multiple fans.  No fans are necessary here.  If I had a traditional smoker, I'd be all over the CQ.

I use the Auber WS1503 in the #2 and absolutely love it.  I combined mine with the permanent box probe from Auber, which I believe makes the unit so much more consistent. 

Auber pros:

1.  The ability to set 6 different programmed steps, based on a time or temp trigger.
2.  Combined with the permanent probe, the unit holds temps within +/- 1°.  Can't get much better!
3.  The ability to "autotune" the unit to YOUR smoker, not just a "generic" program.
4.  Cheaper than the CQ, and gives you all the capabilities needed for this type of smoker.
Auber cons:

1.  No WiFi.  You have to look at it every now and then.  I use this as my smoke day exercise program (which I need).  Makes me get off my pork butt and walk outside!  ;)
2.  That's the only con I can think of, other than maybe that it's not waterproof.

You can't go wrong with the Auber.

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Big Fish

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »
Pretty much limited on to what is out there? Didn't you hardwire your Auber? Boy, I'd love to come up with a wifi or bluetooth connect temp controller and use your wireless tablet or ipuke to monitor it. I'll probably get a Maverick until I can figure something out.

The Auber isn't weatherproof? Shame, because I see Auber marketing them to smokers. Do they think we smoke in our Living Rooms?

bigbassnutt

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »
Hi Ernie, I have a model 2 with the Auber and it makes the smoking process really easy. Set it and it does the rest, I love how on the longer smokes you can program it to the desired internal temp and kick down to a keep warm setting, that way if the fish are biting I can stay on the lake a little longer and not worry. I am considering the permanent probe, seems like a good way to go. The fact that its not weather proof came into play on my fishing trip, rained every day and I smoked a pork loin one day and ribs another.  I just flipped a Rubbermaid container upside down on it to keep the rain off it and it was fine. I also use the maverick for remote monitoring. I would also like the idea of wifi but from what I have seen the units out there aren't very reliable, so gonna give them time to perfect their products before investing in one.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:58:14 PM by bigbassnutt »
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 10:32:40 PM »
Heres my 2 cents worth:  On the Amerique which I own, I also have to go out and check periodically. While the temp is pretty dang stable, I still need to check on time left or the internal temp, depending upon what I am smoking. Far simpler than adding wood every 40 or so minutes to the old stick burner.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 10:37:49 PM »
Ernie, Mike shows a simple solution to the weather issue!  lol.  I smoke under a covered porch, so I keep the rain off that way.  I didn't hard wire the Auber itself, only the permanent probe.  Here's a link to how I did it:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1594.0

The probe wire stays with the smoker, so I just plug in the 2 probes and power, and off to the races!  Easy.  Can't recommend the permanent probe enough.  It's easy to install, and totally removes probe placement errors and the possibility of failure due to water inside the probe during cleaning!  Oh, and a remote Maverick is always an excellent choice!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!