Author Topic: Thermoworks TW8060 TWO-CHANNEL THERMOCOUPLE WITH ALARM  (Read 6743 times)

es1025

Thermoworks TW8060 TWO-CHANNEL THERMOCOUPLE WITH ALARM
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
All-

I purchased the Thermoworks TW8060 TWO-CHANNEL THERMOCOUPLE WITH ALARM with two probes one WD--08467-64 high temp flexible ceramic fiber insulated probe (This is for monitor the smoker temp) and 113-178 Smoke House Penetration probe stainless armor.  The kits was considered the high temp kit.  the cost of the kit was $148 plus shipping (ground shipping was $2.99), I opted for the two day shipping at $8.99.

Here is the writeup from the thermoworks web site:

TW8060 New High Temp Kit (Save $30)

We've changed our High Temp Kit to include the Flexible Ceramic Fiber Insulated probe for better survival in the high temp environment of a BBQ cooker. Includes the TW8060 Thermocouple Alarm Thermometer and a Armored Smokehouse Penetration probe, and a High-Temp Flexible Ceramic Fiber probe. Use the Smokehouse probe with the alarm feature to monitor the meat to your preferred doneness temperature, and the Ceramic Fiber probe to keep tabs on the temperature of the oven or smoker. Buy the kit and save $30.
(113-178) Armored Smokehouse Penetration Probe: Tip and cable range to 660°F (probe cable diameter is 0.2 inches - home oven doors and smoker lids may not fully close)
(WD-08467-64) High-Temp Flexible Ceramic Fiber Probe: Tip and cable range to 2200°F

Review:

Wrapped the probe around the grate, turned the smoker on and watched the temperature rise.

At 180 degrees the smoker produced visible smoke.

I set the smoker for 240 degrees (Near the 0 in the 250 number on the temperature dial).

The temperature in the smoker went to 263 and then thermostat turned off, held the temperature for a while and then decreased to 223 and then thermostat turned back on and up 263.  The average worked out quite well.

I am very impressive with the sensitivity of the probe and the thermocoupler.  It was definitely much more accurate then the maverick. 

I smoker ribs today and then were as good as ever, 5.5 hour no peeking. 

I am strongly recommending this product, I realize the cost is 3X the maverick but the temperature readings are stop on.  I never saw the temperature sensitivity in the maverick.  The one thing it does not have is a remote reader but since the smoker is outside exercise is good and did not miss the remote.   The probes plug into the thermocoupler (two prongs) which has two channels.  The device makes smoking even easier. I have not had a chance to use the smokehouse penetration probe will be having brisket next week.  I wish I would have purchased this product last year.

The cost is a bit much but the quality of the product is head and tails above the other devices.  You can't go wrong this device.

I have no affiliation with Thermoworks just like to have precise temperature readings.

Father's Day is coming up soon and this would make a great gift.

When I called and ordered the kit, the customer service person (Marissa) was very knowledgable about the product and the shipping timelines. 

Any questions, just ask

Ed
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Thermoworks TW8060 TWO-CHANNEL THERMOCOUPLE WITH ALARM
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:29:53 PM »
Good review, Ed!  Thanks for the info. You now have me doubting my "old reliable" Maverick.  ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:16:41 PM »
Tony

You know the probes need to be sealed and my smoker probe worked when it wants, I was extremely careful to make sure I only cleaned with a damp cloth. I don't mind pay a couple of more $$ to get quality.  What I like is that I can plug the probe into the receiver and get the smoker temp in 5 secs. That's worth the price alone. You can disconnect the probes if it starts to rain and monitor as needed.    This is a professional tool not a throw away product.

My $.02.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »
Good info, Ed!  Are the probe ends sealed differently from the Maverick?  Just curious...
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
Here are the pictures of the probes:

I would say they are sealed very well.  the smoker probe is a flexible fiber.

Ed from Northern NJ

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
One of the really nice things about k-type probes is that you can use extensions up to about 100 ft.
That way, I can keep the Auber WS-1500DPMS with it's K-type probe here in the house where I can keep a close eye on it...with the smoker outside.
I sure wish that the Auber WSD-1503CPH was compatible with k-type probes...that's the only thing I don't like about it.
~Martin

es1025

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
I used this probe today: (113-178) Armored Smokehouse Penetration Probe.  It work flawlessly with the brisket I cooked. 

I am so glad I upgraded to a better product.  It was the best $148 I spent next to the cost of the smoker.

Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »
I can see the value of this, especially if you are staying with the analog (stock) controller, or are using it across different platforms.  But, for another $50, you can have a highly-accurate and programmable PID.  If I'm going to drop $150 for a thermometer, I'd rather spend a little more and have a 6-step programmable PID.  Not knocking the unit, Ed, just looking at it from a dollars and cents perspective.  With the PID, I rarely break out the Maverick anymore.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36:59 PM »
I think I will eventually get a PID.  However, you are correct in that it is great for the bbq pit, smoker & I also have the long probe for frying.  I use 2 thermometers, the 8060 & a thermapen.  Any probe you can imagine or possibly need is made for these k style sensors which iare commercial quality.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill