Author Topic: Brisket Grade and cook time  (Read 2690 times)

Jhoussock

Brisket Grade and cook time
« on: May 04, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »
The first brisket I cooked was a select grade flat from a grocery store and it cooked in about 8 hours. I started getting high quality brisket flats from a meat market and also began cooking with an Auber. Since then my cooks have been around 14 hours for a 6 pound flat. Are the better quality briskest to blame? This will be my third quality one and it's looking like it's gonna be 14-15 hours. I am cooking at 225 unfoiled.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brisket Grade and cook time
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
The Select is going to have a higher fat content than the two grades above it (Choice and Prime), but the choice and prime should have better marbling in the meat.  Not sure what you mean by "higher quality."  Did your butcher have a grade labeled on them?  Higher quality is going to be marked choice or prime.  In my experience, choice or prime will tend to take a little longer (they're leaner cuts), but you're showing 2+ hours per pound; that's a little long, usually.  You might try using 235-240 for your box temp.  It really doesn't affect the outcome, just the time. 

Also, if you could provide some details on your prep, it would be helpful.  Did you inject or brine/marinate?  Was the meat cold, and put in a cold smoker?  You mentioned you're not foiling, but are you opening the door at all during smoking?  Details help when we're trying to help you analyze what you're experiencing.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jhoussock

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
I went from fridge rubbed and stuck it in the smoker. It went in at around 38 to 40 degrees. I don't open the door until it hits 195 and then I check for temps in other places. It's a prime grade. I'll have to try out my luck at 145.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »
Sounds solid.  Let us know how this one goes.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!