Author Topic: Is the model 1 big enough  (Read 20219 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Is the model 1 big enough
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »
I've had a #1 for about 9 months, and so far have not felt like I wished I had bought a #2. I can easily serve 8+ people with food from my #1. Generally it is just 2 people, and sometimes 4. If you think you might need to serve more of a crowd, than you should definitely consider a #2. The thing about this smoker, is that you don't have to do a huge batch all at once, because it so so easy to use. With my other smoker, I felt like I had to smoke mass quantities all at once, because it was such a pain to fire up and monitor. With the SI, you can smoke every day, without much fuss. It's practically as easy as using your indoor oven.

Part of my buying decision for the #1 was a small footprint. I have very little space, and wanted it to be easily hidden away when not in use. I keep the SI on my back porch, behind a chair in the corner, covered with the SI cover, and put a plant on top. It takes no more space than a small end table. It is always available on my covered porch whether it's raining or snowing. I do not have an attached garage, so winter convenience was important.

I never doubted the size of the #1 for me. But if you have any doubts at all, then it's worth considering a larger model.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »
Hi Candy!  You should let your budget decide.  With that in mind, I recommend at least the #2, if you can swing it.  I have smoked a lot of meat in my #1, the sized difference in the #2 is well-worth the extra money!  I only smoke, mostly, for me, my wife and son.  But, that doesn't mean I only smoke one meal's worth of meat at a time!  A good vacuum sealer and freezer are a pit master's best friends! ;)   The #2 allows you much more flexibility for bigger (in volume) items, like turkeys and briskets.  Any of the models can easily handle a pork butt.

Now, I really recommend the #3.  What the #3 allows you to do is, well, it all!  As has been said, you can always smoke less in a larger smoker, but you can never smoke more in a smaller one!  The #3 allows you to smoke whole racks of ribs, and full-length packer briskets!  You can still easily smoke just for 2 (as I do for 3), but when you need the BBQ real estate, nothing comes close to the #3.

Remember - this is a one-time, lifetime, purchase.  It will be the last smoker you buy; they're that good.  So, choose wisely, and get the largest model your budget can handle (except the model 4...that one would just be obscene for 2 people).  lol!  Bet I'll get some comments on that remark!!

Whichever way you go, you'll love it!  We're sure glad you found us, and we're here to help!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 08:10:18 AM »
For two people, I think you will be fine with the #1, but I agree with DM that the #2 is even better if your budget can swing the difference.   I have a #2 and smoke with 4 people in the household but often for many more in the neighborhood.  The extra room always gives me leftovers for later in the week or that I can foodsaver for done the road meals.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2015, 12:43:21 AM »
Hey Candy, I too have the #1 & #3. When I first ordered the #1 was happy and slept on it. The next morning I called Steve around 10:00 am was going to change my order to a #2. But, it already had shipped, and yes you can smoke enough meat for 2 people in it. But, I found that for certain items like briskets that I wanted to smoke would have to cut them into. I found a really good deal on the #3 from a previous user that was going into competition smoking. I know just use the #1 for side dishes or when just smoking for me. And as others have stated, you can always smoke less in a large unit but cannot smoke excess in a small unit. I would go with the #2 if I was you.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri