Author Topic: Is the model 1 big enough  (Read 20220 times)

drains

Re: Is the model 1 big enough
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 05:13:11 PM »
That's what I call good eats and lots of it. Sounds like you know how to put out some tasty smoked chow with the little guy! Way to go Gillem!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Gillem

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
The "Little guy" was a beast!  what a way to make a camping trip that much more fun! I only wish I had done this 10 years ago.
For the chili I actually made it in a 5 qt. Lodge cast iron dutch oven, used my #1, dutch oven fit right in left it in there for 3 hrs

bigben5054

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 11:41:33 AM »
The hamburgers were 80% lean with onion chopped up into them along with with a basic rub and Worcestershire sauce, I got the recipe from smoke and spice, it is a great tasting twist on an old favorite.
The brisket was a 10 pounder that I had to do some wrastling to get it in there. I ended up folding the point end back under a bit to get it to fit but it did and worked out fine. I guess I should have taken pictures

I am also contemplating this size question and after reading this thread, I am confused.  I was leaning toward the model 1, because it says it holds 21 pounds of meat.  Other research I have found says that you should go with about 1 pound of meat per person.  I assume that means uncooked meat.  Since our biggest gatherings would probably be 20 persons or less, I figured the model 1 would suffice.  plus I plan to take it camping and the model 1 would probably work better for that.  But then in this post, Gillem says he had to wrestle a 10 pound brisket in the model 1.  I guess I would expect a 10 pound brisket should fit easily into a unit that is supposed to hold 21 pounds...???

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
Hey Ben, I too have a #1 and they are really small, in fact I had ordered the #1 and next morning I called Steve to change my order to a #2 but it was already shipped. In essence if I was you would order the #2. I think you could take it camping as well. I have both a #1 & #3. I like them both and as we speak I am doing a slab of ribs in the #1. Only had to cut them into to place in the smoker. Were in the #3 it will take the rack of ribs without cutting them. Also have smoked a 7# boston butt, 4# chuck roast and several ribs in the #1. In the #3 had smoked 3 racks of ribs, a 7# brisket point. I enjoy both but just wanted you to know that the #1 is short on space. And you really need to put it on a cart. I got one at Sam's club the the #1 is easy to work in now. Also the grill racks in the #1 are just 12" x 13" so really cannot get a large brisket in one. I looked at some 10# briskets last night and they were too long for the #1.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:06:23 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:35 PM »
For up to 20 people, I would think the #1 would be too small.

I have a #3 and find it pretty easy to transport (for me). But, the #2 is just a great average size that is a good combination of easy to transport and still has some pretty decent space.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
I would split the difference and go with the #2!  I purchased the #2 over two years ago and have not felt limited at all in what I want to smoke.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Gillem

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
A 10 lb brisket is a big piece of meat and the only problem was the length was just a tad long, you have plenty of vertical space so with a bit of thought you can do a lot.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2015, 08:08:30 PM »
But then in this post, Gillem says he had to wrestle a 10 pound brisket in the model 1.  I guess I would expect a 10 pound brisket should fit easily into a unit that is supposed to hold 21 pounds... ???

What takes more space, a 21 lb brick, or a 21 lb brisket?  It's about size of the shelves, not the weight of the meat.  Briskets are long, not compact like a pork butt, so there's the difference.

In your situation, would recommend the #2 at a minimum.  But, if you want to smoke briskets, go the #3 if it's in your budget...you will NOT regret the depth!  All of them are great smokers, but the #3 brings 20" of depth, which is fantastic for full racks of ribs and brisket.  You can always cook less in a larger smoker, but can't cook more in a smaller one!  Remember - this will be the last electric smoker you buy, so choose wisely!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »
+1
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 03:26:41 AM »
Ben - Sounds like if you occasionally entertain 20 people, you should get a #2.

I have a #1. It's perfect for me. I don't even lust over a #2. But I only smoke for 2-3 people, 6-8 rarely. I love the way I can roll it behind a chair in the corner of my porch, put the cover on it, a plant on top, and you can't even see it. It's the size of a small end table. That's a plus for me. Although you could easily make enough brisket for 20 people on a #1, you would not be able to feed that many people with some of the other meats, because of the way different meats use space.

The #1 has 3 racks/shelves. I just did a 14.5 lb whole packer brisket. Whole briskets are long, so I cut it into 2 pieces (separating the point and the flat). Put each 7 lb piece on a shelf. The third shelf was empty. In theory you could put another 7 lb hunk of brisket on the third shelf, and that would come to 21+ lbs of meat total. I think I actually could get 8-9 lb hunks of brisket on each shelf, because of the shape of brisket. So it is true that it will hold 21 or so pounds of "certain" meats, but it depends on the shape of the meat. The shelf spacing creates limits for some things. Many things need to be placed on the middle shelf so there is enough height, leaving the bottom shelf empty. Here are some guidelines on what I can fit in my #1.

14-16 lb whole packer brisket, cut in two pieces (leaves bottom shelf empty).
One 14 lb turkey.
Three spatchcocked chickens (butterflied/flattened).
Two 3-4 lb whole chickens (leaves bottom shelf empty).
One 8-10 lb whole chicken (leaves bottom shelf empty).
One 8-12 lb pork butt (leaves bottom shelf empty).
Three full racks Baby Back ribs (cut in half, so 6 half-racks).
Two full racks Spare ribs (trimmed so 2/3 rack on two shelves, and remaining 1/3 rack pieces on the third shelf).

The originator of this thread seems long gone, but maybe this info will be helpful to someone else browsing the forum.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:33:25 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Candy

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 11:46:03 PM »
I'm new here and I am looking to purchase one of these smokers. Can I cook a whole pork shoulder in the #1 model? I don't want to buy a bigger one than I need because it's just my husband and myself but I want to be able to cook a shoulder. Thanks

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »
The rule is when in doubt, buy the bigger unit. A #2 is too small for me I find the #3 perfect, however IF I were going to cook on a camp out for a small group the #2 is a good travel size.

A #2 will fit nicely on a hitch haul with room to spare for a tub of camping gear.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 12:01:36 AM »
Candy, the #1 will handle a shoulder, or Butt.  See SconnieQ's post (old thread) above. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Candy

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 12:11:32 AM »
Thank you old sarge!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »
I agree with Pork Belly. Always buy bigger if you can. You can always use the extra room......nobody says you always have to use it............. :)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top