Author Topic: Auber help  (Read 6652 times)

Jhoussock

Auber help
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:12:18 PM »
I'm using my Auber for the first time on my number 2 and running into some issues. I am at 12 hours @ 130 for a six pound brisket flat and still at 150. I used a maverick thermometer and a meat probe by weber to check things out and one says 210 the other says 213 for the cabinet temp. I haven't auto tuned just programmed and went with it. Is it really that far off? Was I supposed to calibrate this thing first? As for my brisket is it going to be dried out?

rickne

Re: Auber help
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
Just trying to fully understand the situation...

Is your #2 controller bypassed or intact?
What temp do you have your stock controller set at?
What temp do you have your Auber set at?
Is the red light on the SI blinking or flickering quickly?  Or is it one for 30 seconds or longer at a time?

I'm wondering if the controller and PID are competing and the stock controller is winning...  keeping the temps down.

As for your brisket drying out....  I can't answer that.  I've thought I've botched cooks and they still turned out great so you never know.  Sometimes the lower and slower you go, the better.  On the other hand, those flats can dry out pretty easily.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »
Rick is dead-on with his questions.  We need these details to be able to help.  Sounds like you don't have the stock controller dialed all the way up, but I'm just guessing.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jhoussock

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »
Alright guys #2 is at 150 Auber was at 125 and after 12 hours I checked it out with my maverick and another meat thermometer one was 210 1 was 213. I since put the Auber at 150 and both back ups are now reading 125 and 128. The light stays on until it reaches set temp and then blinks on and off every one to two seconds and I did not by pass the smoker is plugged into the Auber and Auber into the wall

rickne

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »
If the Auber is in control, the red light flickers or blinks.  If the light is staying on for 30 seconds or more, your stock controller is in control.  that is assuming you have not bypassed it.

That means 1 of 2 things.  1. Your stock controller needs to be turned up to 250.  If it is already then #2, your stock controller is competing and shutting down the element before the box temp hits the auber setting. 

IF #2 is happening, it could be a weak controller/element or it could be a difference in where you have the probes located.

If you have bypassed it, you have a completely different and strange situation happening...  and I will have more questions.

rickne

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:02:08 PM »
Alright guys #2 is at 150 Auber was at 125 and after 12 hours I checked it out with my maverick and another meat thermometer one was 210 1 was 213.

So you are running much hotter than what you have things set at?  Auber at 125 and Stock at 150 and the box temp is over 200?  I can't explain that.  I'm a little confused why you would cook brisket at 150 or 125 degrees.  But my recommendation would be to set the stock controller to 250 every time you use the auber. I would also recommend cooking brisket at 200-250 degrees with 225 being about ideal.

I since put the Auber at 150 and both back ups are now reading 125 and 128.

That's much closer.  And that delta could very well be the difference in probe placement

The light stays on until it reaches set temp and then blinks on and off every one to two seconds and I did not by pass the smoker is plugged into the Auber and Auber into the wall

The fact that the light blinks that quickly tells me the Auber is in control.

Jhoussock

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:05:10 PM »
The smoker light is blinking for sure and dial is turned all the way up.  When I turned up the Auber from 130 to 150 it did increase by the correct amount on the other two thermometers (from 110 to 130) so it seems as if it's just off in the reading not being stopped by the stock thermostat.

Jhoussock

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »
I'm sorry all my 100 figures should be 200. It's been a long day and I'm getting hungry :P

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »
Give us your programming steps, and tell us where you have the box temp probe placed.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

rickne

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »
that makes more sense...

No bypass.
Stock controller set at 250
Auber set at 225

You are getting box temps of 210-215 with two other thermometers.  Cook taking longer than expected.

Tony's right.  Could be probe placement or your program.

Probe placement can be tricky.  Too close to the meat, wall or grate can give you strange readings.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
This is the main reason I went with the Auber fixed probe.  The variable of placement is totally eliminated.  I found too many inconsistencies with the removable probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Jhoussock

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »
Yep it was probe placement... Wow almost 20 degrees? I had the Auber probe toward the back and that was a cooler temp than the one that was place toward the door both hanging in the middle I only have one grate in and it's near the top so nothing by the probe. What is the better placement spot?

Jhoussock

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »
Divot any Link for the fixed probe and any info on where to place it? Have you bypassed or just use the fixed probe?

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 07:22:21 PM »
Here's my install of the fixed probe:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1594.0

Auber recommends placing it as high as possible, below the top shelf.  Since our racks can move up and down, I placed it between the two highest shelf positions.  Also note that you need to get a nylon spacer due to the thread length.  I really think the fixed probe is fantastic.  It is extremely consistent, and totally removes the problem you are having.  The unit is bypassed (also the way to go with an Auber).  I do, however, think a bypass switch is a good feature.  See Rickne and PolishQ's posts on this.
Tony from NW Arkansas

rickne

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
Yep it was probe placement... Wow almost 20 degrees? I had the Auber probe toward the back and that was a cooler temp than the one that was place toward the door both hanging in the middle I only have one grate in and it's near the top so nothing by the probe. What is the better placement spot?

Probe placement is everything.  It's not necessarily that there are hot spots in these cookers, but the walls radiate differently from the racks, which is different than any temps by the meat.  The temps below the meat are drastically different than temps above the meat.

As for placement, I would say pick one and keep it consistent.  The consistency will help you more than the accuracy...  if that makes sense.  Look at any $5000 competition cooker.  They have a couple of fixed thermometers.  They "learn" their cookers based on those thermometers and cook accordingly, despite hot spots.

I use a chuck of wood with a hole drilled through it or a ball of foil, stick my probe through it, and place it on the same rack as the meat, as close to the middle as I can, while trying to stay 2-3" away from the meat.  I'm not sure how accurate that temp is compared to the rest of the cooker, but I cook to that temp.

Glad you got it figured out.