Author Topic: 1st Brisket troubleshooting  (Read 8492 times)

Brisket Bob

1st Brisket troubleshooting
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »
Good evening all…

I just got done early today with my first brisket in the Model #1 smoker.  Overall the brisket was good (good flavoring), but dry (specifically the brisket flat was really dry…the point was still nice and moist).  I was hoping I could get some feedback on what I could do next time to improve.

I will give you as much data as possible.  As I said, this was the first brisket that I smoked.  I started with a 9 lbs. packer brisket.  I did a YouTube search on how to best trim your brisket before smoking.  I watched four or five of the ones that seemed to be the most competent. I feel like I followed their directions (kept a ¼ inch of fat around with the fat cap, got rid of hard pieces of fat that would have a hard time rendering).  The brisket was trimmed and the rub was applied the night before, wrapped in cling wrap and refrigerated overnight. 

I woke up the next morning, and prepared the smoker (approximately 34° in Chicago when I started).  I let the brisket rest outside of the fridge for probably 45 minutes before putting it in the smoker.  I used 2.5 ounces of cherry and 2 ounces of apple wood.  Before closing the door, I added a mini loaf pan to the bottom next to the smoke box with 12 ounces of Coors Light (perhaps 11 ounces…I may have “tested” the beer first…you never can be too careful).

The smoker was set to 225° (which seemed to be consistent with what I read on other posts in the forum…although this might have been too high…thoughts?) I utilized a Maverick ET732 Meat Thermometer and recorded all of the temperatures after each hour of smoking.  They are as follows:

After 1 hour (75° for the brisket, 169° for the smoker)
After 2 hours (127° for the brisket, 221° for the smoker)
After 3 hours (162° for the brisket, 219° for the smoker)
After 4 hours (178° for the brisket, 230° for the smoker)
After 5 hours (183° for the brisket, 234° for the smoker)
After 6 hours (187° for the brisket, 217° for the smoker)
After 7 hours (187° for the brisket, 237° for the smoker)
After 8 hours (192° for the brisket, 223° for the smoker)
After 9 hours (201° for the brisket, 234° for the smoker)
After 10 hours (205° for the brisket, 217° for the smoker)

From what I have read, there seems to be no magic temperature to pull it from the smoker.  In my head I was thinking 190° seemed about right.  I was surprised at the steady rate of increasing temperature of the brisket.  I thought that the reason the temperature was increasing so rapidly was due to incorrectly inserting the probe to the meat.  I anticipated (due to several posts), but never experienced, was a temperature plateau that would occur after three or four hours.  I got nervous that it was cooking too quickly, so after 4 hours, I turned the dial down to (210ish).  I realize that the heating element only kicks on when you dip below that number, so moving the dial at that point really didn’t impact the temperature.

The first time I opened the smoker was at the 8.5 hour mark.  I wanted to see what was going on.  In one of the YouTube clips I watched, the person recommended clipping a corner of the brisket when you’re trimming it so that you knew which way to cut when you were ready to slice the brisket. I had added that piece to the smoker as well.  So when I had the door opened at the 8.5 hour mark, I took that piece out to sample.  It was extremely dry. I decided to add another beer to the mini-loaf pan to increase the amount of moisture. 

I continued to monitor the temperatures.  Like I said, I thought I might have incorrectly inserted the probe, so I was convinced that it wasn’t ready, even though the internal temperatures numbers were probably accurate.  After 10 hours (and an internal meat temperature of 205) I decided to pull the brisket.  I wrapped it in several layers of tin foil.  After that, I wrapped it in a large bath towel (I read to do this online too) and put the brisket in a cooler to rest for a little more that three hours (I originally had planned for one hour, but that is when I thought the smoking would take 12 hours).  While it was resting, I decided to clean out the smoker.  The dripping pan was about two-thirds full (not sure if that is a lot or not and may indicate extreme loss of moisture/fat).

After reflecting on my first brisket on the smoker, I think there are two things I would do differently next time.  I would inject the flat with some solution (any recommendation on what?)  and start with a lower temperature (200 or 210). 

Any red flags here?  Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the super long post…I just wanted to give as much info as possible to figure out how I can do it better next time.

Thank you!
(Not so) Brisket Bob
Bob - Chicago

Walt

Re: 1st Brisket troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »
Let me start this out by saying,  I am no brisket expert. I have lucked into a method that has produced very consistanty moist, flavorful brisket with the fat not rendered to melt like butter on the tongue.  It is a bit elaborate but it works every time.  Prior to this I wasnt a big fan of brisket. Most all I've eaten were dry with too much chewy fat left on.  Now, I love them.  I think the key is to inject, brine or (like I do) both.  The method I documented under "Beef", "Walts brined & injected brisket".  The diluted mojo (Joe's UWFSAE) injection really adds flavor & helps with moisture & tenderizes it.  Give it a try, you wont be disappointed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:42:18 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:22:54 PM »
Bob,

Great post!  I like lots of details like that!  Looks to me, from your numbers, that your brisket did stall in the 180s.  This is not uncommon.  I often experience the stall in the 180s with brisket, and butts too. 

After 5 hours (183° for the brisket, 234° for the smoker)
After 6 hours (187° for the brisket, 217° for the smoker)
After 7 hours (187° for the brisket, 237° for the smoker)
After 8 hours (192° for the brisket, 223° for the smoker)

3 hours to rise 9 degrees is a stall.  Every piece of meat (large cuts) will stall at different temps, and for different lengths of time, but they will all do it.  It happens at the point when the internal fat and connective tissues starts to render, and the meat experiences evaporative cooling.

What was the final outcome when you removed it from the rest and sliced it? 

Here's a way I do brisket:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=979.0

Walt's brine/injection method looks really good, too; I haven't had the chance to try it yet. 

As for the temp to take it out:  I usually pull mine at 198-200, then foil and rest in the cooler.  In my opinion, 205 is too high.  But, your finished results may say different. 

Let's see some pics of the finished briskie! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Brisket Bob

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
Thank you both for your comments and suggestions.

Walt, thank you for directing me to your brine method.  It seems like it a proven formula.  I will give it a try sometime down the road when I have a bit more time (and a vacuum sealer).  Here's a link to Walt’s brine method:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1566.0

DivotMaker, thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I definitely embrace your “lazy-Q” philosophy.  I read about your brisket preparation before this smoke, but unfortunately didn’t have the tools (the injector) to get that done. I have since rectified that with a purchase (Epica 2-Ounce Stainless-Steel Seasoning & Marinade Injector).  I think the missing element was the injecting of the brisket.  As for description of when it was done resting….the bark looked really good.  The point was super moist (definitely the best part of the meal last night), but the flat was very flavorful, just unfortunately dry.  I know I’ve been told before that a good brisket slice should be able to pull a bit like an accordion (hopefully this makes sense).  The slices from the flat were too dry to do that.  I think the injection (or brine method) would have solved or mitigated the dryness my brisket experienced.  I also agree that 205 was too high.  I thought the probe was in there wrong (sounds like it wasn’t), so I wasn’t confident in its accuracy.

I didn’t take a picture of the brisket on its own, just of the whole meal (credit to my wife with the mac & cheese and corn bread).

I plan on trying it again next Saturday, so any other feedback is appreciated.  Thanks again Walt and DivotMaker! 
Bob - Chicago

Walt

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
The meal looked great.  Once you get the moisture right you'll e in business.  The sealer isn't necessary (just got it for the last brisket).  Before I was brining in a container & wrapping the injected & rubbed meat in plastic wrap.  Good luck!
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:25:06 AM »
Trial and error are our friends in Q world!  We all learn a lot from our successes, and semi-successes (I don't like to say failures, because even the failures are usually edible).  You'll find the formulas that work to your liking the more you smoke.  Nice looking dinner!  When you have one come out too dry, it's perfect to cut into squares and make burnt ends out of!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »
That venison leg I just cooked was a little dry but good.  I cooked some garlic & onions down added some cubed venison & bbq sauce & we had great Sammie's.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

drippings

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »
"not so Brisket Bob"...that was funny.  My name is drippings and the 1st  Butt I have done in my #2 had VERY little drippings - so maybe I am "not so drippings"! 
However though, on my 1st smoke in the #2, I did 2 6 1/2# chickens and my drip pan was 3/4 full.  They were incredibly juicy and tender though.
Haven't sliced into my butt yet, so don't know how moist it is yet.  Will find out in an hour or so.
Anyway, "not so Brisket Bob", I am confident that you indeed WILL be Brisket Bob in no time.  Lots of great advice here on the forum.  These guys really know
what they are talking about and you definitely have the right equipment to turn out spectacular results.  I have never done a brisket, but am excited to do one
in the near future.  I will take Walt and DivotMakers advice on how they do it.  Definitely Brine...it is magical.  Also, I have never injected anything, but I want to
do that also.  Have you seen the pics of Divot's brisket?  Look at them....they look outrageously good!  That is what I'll be shooting for.
Good luck on your next one.  I am sure by what advice was given by these 2 will give you the nice tender juicy brisket you are looking for.
Jeff from the Space Coast of Florida
SI#2
Auber 1204

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
Thanks for the compliment on the pics, Jeff!  Yep, we'll have Bob living up to his name in no time! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

sts3d

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 10:15:05 PM »
Bob it sounds like you did everything right but keep in mind sometimes it's just the cut of meat. It happens to me occasionally. My .02. Keep at it.
I'll even smoke the squeal.

Brisket Bob

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.  I am now about 6 or 7 briskets in experience....and really enjoying the process.  Each brisket seems to be a little better than the last.....everyday is a school day.  One thing that I still struggle with has to do with the overnight storage of the rubbed and injected brisket.  How do you store it overnight in the fridge?  Do you just use a bunch of plastic wrap?  Is there a container that you'd recommend that keeps the air out?  I have been using an industrial size plastic wrap that I bought at Costco, but it is very inefficient when wrapping (too much material wasted in wrapping it)....not to mention, a 14 lbs packer brisket isn't the easiest thing to move around when trying to wrap it in plastic wrap.  Does anyone recommendations?  I thought about maybe vacuum-sealing it (I don't own one, but if that is the best course of action, perhaps someone can recommend one that won't break the bank).  Thanks again for the help! 
Bob - Chicago

Walt

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 11:26:22 PM »
I vacuum seal the brisket during brineing then cut it open & rinse then apply binder & rub & reseal in the same bag until ready to enter the smoker.  I use rolls instead of bags so i can cut to the size i need.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill