Author Topic: Smoke question for brisket.  (Read 2563 times)

Jhoussock

Smoke question for brisket.
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:41:43 PM »
Getting ready to do my second brisket in my #2 and I have a few questions on some areas I felt I can improve on from my first. The most important was the smoke flavor. My brisket lacked in smoke flavor and I used 5oz of hickory. The brisket did reach 140 in just under an hour before it stalled at 150 for almost 5hours. Was this just a odd brisket cooking that fast past 140 or is that normal with these cabinets? Should I cook lower than 225 for the first two hours to get a longer smoke period. My Auber malfunctioned and was replaced so I will have that for this cook and didn't have it for the first. Next thing would be a recommendation for a good rub. Nothing to hot and over powerful. The rub I used on my first was sweet and spicy and almost to much flavor I felt it took away from the smoked meat flavor. I guess I'm looking for something kind of simple in taste. Thanks in advance!

Jhoussock

Re: Smoke question for brisket.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
Oh and I'm cooking around 7 pound flats

Walt

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »
I usually cook flats as well.  6 to 7 lbs. I find 1.5 hrs / lb @ 225 put me real close to where I like it between 200 - 205.  My recommendations are posted under "Walt's brined & injected brisket".
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
One recommendation is to start with the meat as cold as possible (but not frozen).  A 7 lb flat, if at 35-37 degrees to start, should not hit 140 in an hour.  Btw, this is one reason I like packer cut briskets (flat and point); lots more "mass."  The flats are just too thin for my taste.  Lots of folks like them, so this is just my 2-cents.  If you start with a cold smoker, and cold meat, you will maximize the smoke time.  Even still, 5 oz of hickory should have given lots of smoke flavor.  Maybe you are used to really heavy smoke flavor in your past experiences?  Just wondering. 

As for rub, I really like Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning on brisket, or any beef.  Good blend of garlic, onion, pepper, and other spices.  If you want a "minimal" rub for brisket, you can go traditional "Texas" with kosher salt and black pepper (not too much) and call it good.  Check out the beef section for other variations, and see if something suits your palate. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!