Author Topic: First smoke  (Read 2705 times)

peterbilt79

First smoke
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:32 AM »
Have 4 racks of baby backs, mac and cheese, baked beans, corn bread, cucumber salad for an opening day met smoke.  Excited for opening day but really fired up about breaking in my number 3 for its first smoke!!

peterbilt79

Re: First smoke
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:16:31 AM »
Hopefully ill have something good to begin yet another Met season of waiting until next year ::)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:36:02 AM »
Wow! That sounds like it is going to be one heck of a feast.
Let us know if you have any questions as well as how your first smoke turns out.

BTW, we require pictures  :D
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
Sounds like a great first smoke!  Let us know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

peterbilt79

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »
Sorry took so long to get back, long day on monday with people showing up to help me try out my new toy and a couple of long work days.  Everything went pretty well only problem that I had was that it was pretty windy out on Monday.  I don't think that the smoker got up to 225.  Checked the ribs 5 hours into the smoke and they were still not quite there.  Left them in for another 45 minutes and they were good but probably could of stayed for another half hour but I was hungry and pulled them out.  Next time it's that windy I'll jack up the temp another 15 degrees and see what happens.  All in all went well for the first time using this smoker, have had much worse results on other smokers that I used for the first time.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:24:33 PM »
That's great!  Yep, I also up the temp in windy conditions.  We have some regulars who always do ribs at 240, and I do sometimes, too.  It really helps in the wind.  But, if you have the time, low and slow never hurts. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
I smoke all my meats at 240.  I have read a lot of books and articles indicating a temp between 225-240 is optimal for smoking. I have never been disappoint at that temperature.  I believe it takes the downside risk out of the equation.  The smoker #3 will typically settle around 230 and then turn back on and go to 240-245.

Try it a higher temp and document the results.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?