Author Topic: Brined Brisket  (Read 4763 times)

es1025

Brined Brisket
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:51:45 AM »
I subscribe to Jeff Phillips email blast.

I received an interesting one last week, brine brisket.

Brine:
1 quart of OJ
2 TBSP of Hot sauce
1/4 cup of kosher salt.
Brine overnight. (I brined for 9 hours)

4-5 lb. brisket flat.

Then the regular smoking process foiling at 160, and let finish cooking to 201-203.

I will let you know how it comes out.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brined Brisket
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »
I saw that one too, Ed.  Should be interesting to see how the OJ brine turns out.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
Wow, the brisket turned out great, unbelievably moist. I would definiitely brine brisket again.  Sorry no pictures. No leftovers.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
You're slipping, Ed!  No pics???  2 demerits for you. :(   Glad to hear it turned out well!  Could you detect the orange juice flavor?  Just curious...  I use OJ in my poultry brine, but don't notice the taste.  I think the acid in the fruit juice is meant to tenderize.  I have to try brining a brisket soon!  I'm smoking a corned beef today.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
No orange juice or hot sauce taste.

I added on step, i used a meat tenderizer (the one with the spikes).

Ed from Northern NJ

cjdavia@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 09:20:11 AM »
I realize this is a very old thread but I'm wondering if you recall if the brine was too salty or just right?  Going to try this for easter dinner and don't want to ruin it!
Chris
Madison, CT

pappabear

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 06:08:42 PM »
When my brother lived in Alaska, he used OJ to marinate his halibut. No OJ taste, but always very moist and delicious.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 07:44:20 PM »
I realize this is a very old thread but I'm wondering if you recall if the brine was too salty or just right?  Going to try this for easter dinner and don't want to ruin it!

I always brine brisket using a very simple brine...  1 cup of morton's kosher salt for every 2 gallons of water as specified on the box.  I don't add any OJ or other sugar source.  I rinse when I take it out of the brine and then typically use a mix of salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder for the rub.  I've never had anyone complain that my brisket tastes salty at all.  (My wife and I don't add much if any salt to what we eat, so I don't think we're desensitized to it by any measure.)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Tomtom

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 04:01:48 PM »
I used your orange juice brine on a small 3.25 lbs brisket. The store that I bought it from called it a competition cut. Not much fat cap... I had meant to just brine it over night but something came up and I ended up leaving it in the brine for 30hrs. I was worried about it being to salty after sitting in the brine for so long, so i didnt add any more seasoning after taking it out of the brine and patting it dry. Smoked it at 225 degrees for 5 hrs total time. Wrapped it with foil at 150 and pulled it to rest at 205 internal... Turned out moist and delicious,  not too salty. The wife couldn't stop saying how good it was. Thank you for the advice on how to smoke a small brislet with out drying it out.

LuvMyQ

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 09:48:12 PM »
Just saw this and going to have to give it a try.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

Tomtom

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 10:51:01 PM »
Just used the same brine on baby back ribs. I over cooked them a little...to fall of the bone...still came out excellent. Finished them with Smokin It Bbq sauce...I will order more of that. Soooo good.