Author Topic: Question  (Read 2752 times)

TheSneakyZebra

Question
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »
I have not had a chance to use my auber yet, but I do have a question. Does this cause any issues with smoking the wood? Since the unit is so well insulated and it turns on and off briefly to maintain temp is that enough to keep the wood smoking? Are there are tips or tricks one must do to maximize the smoke while using the auber or just load it up with wood? Will it still smoke throughout the cook or for a shorter amount of time? Thanks for the help.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:56:23 PM »
Good question.  I haven't seen any problems, whatsoever, keeping the wood smoking as long as it normally would.  In fact, I think it might actually last longer due to the lack of high-temp spikes.  When I smoked jerky at 145 for the whole time, less than 2 oz of wood had no problem producing smoke past 2 hours.  I think the controlled temp actually allows the wood to smolder as it should.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:13:41 AM »
I've heard of some complaints of the lack of smoke with a PID.  I honestly haven't experienced it.  My wood is always reduced to an ash pile when I'm done.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »
Agreed.

Only issue I ever had was leaving the chip tray in when using chunks and it didn't smoke much.

Worked great with chips though.

No problems with the Auber. My personal belief ... When the stock controller interferes with the Auber... In the middle of a 16 hour smoke if the temps are held down too low at say 140.... Then nothing is going to burn.

That did happen once...so I bypassed the stock controller.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

GeeBee

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
In my limited experience, I agree with Polish Q, I think it's essential to bypass the factory controller. I believe you have to turn complete control over to the Auber. In my couple of smokes, I've noticed the smoke starts at about 75 degrees (give or take) and rolls on continuously.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !