Author Topic: Brisket size for a #2  (Read 3989 times)

Jaydog

Brisket size for a #2
« on: March 21, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
Hello folks!

I was curious what the typical size brisket you guys use in the #2 or even the #1? I've watch a couple of prep videos but a lot of those seem too big for the #2. I did a quick search on here but nothing really jumped out, I could have missed it though I suppose. Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Walt

Re: Brisket size for a #2
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
I usually cook a flat in my #2. They usually weigh in under 7lbs.  Plenty room to spare.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Jaydog

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:32:21 PM »
ok, thanks. Unfortunately my grocery store only had a 3 pounder and I wasn't sure if it would be worth messing with. So I walked out with an 8 pound pork shoulder and a rack of ribs... Guess my first brisket will have to wait.

Thanks again

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
I've smoked a 12 lb packer cut in my #1.  I like the packer because it has the flat and the point.  Due to length, I have to cut it in half.  I put the thick point end on the lower shelf, and the flat on top to shield it a bit from the heat.  Seems to work fine.  Here's an injected brisket I did awhile back:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=979.0

Walt has a really good-looking brined/injected method that I have to try.  Might check his out!  You'll love your SI for the long, slow smokes like brisket and butt.  Lazy Q, man!

Here's Walt's brisket:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1566.0
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:42:29 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GeeBee

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Tony,
This reminds me, while researching brisket I ran across a very good article (sorry, can't remember where) that explained the point is actually a separate muscle on top of the flat, and they talked about separating the point along a fat seam. They made it sound like an easy thing to do and it gives you 2 pieces of meat that are much closer to being the same thickness. I've not dealt with a brisket yet. Can you shed any light on this theory?
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
That's right, Gary, they are 2 muscles, and the grain runs different directions.  The point has more fat in it than the flat.  Separating them, when raw, is a challenge.  I started to try it one time, and gave up.  I just couldn't seem to find the separation point easily.  Once cooked, however, it's pretty easy (the fat layer between them is soft).  I sometimes separate them before slicing, so I can turn the point the right way to cut across the grain.

I think the packer cut brisket cooks better because of the mass of the two parts, and the additional fat in the point helps keep the flat more moist.  I saw a really good article on this once - I'll try to dig it up and post it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jaydog

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »
GeeBee, check out this video on youtube. The first 4 or 5 minutes goes over how to split the 2 halves. I hate to post the video that is put on by a competitor of Smokin It, but it isn't a bad watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OltMMK-fAjo

GeeBee

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »
Thanks Jaydog. That guy makes it look easy. I'm going to have to try this later on this year.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

Walt

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »
Meathead did a big write up on his website about brisket.  Very informative.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill