Author Topic: Brine-cured Beef Jerky with the James Jerky Dryer, "Part Deux!"  (Read 15895 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
This is the "adjusted" batch, based on what I learned with my first attempt at brined jerky here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1503.0

I learned a few things about what I wanted, and I think this batch got pretty darn close to what I was expecting!

First of all, I loved the taste of a little Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning on the surface of the jerky (which I added to the dehydrator jerky).  Also, adding that made it overly-salty for my taste.  I also thought it could use a tad more soy sauce flavor, and brown sugar.

So the new equilibrium brine was this:

Meat:  4095 g (9 lbs)
Cure #1:  6.25%
Salt %:  1.5 (used 2% last time)
Sugar %:  2.5 (used 2% last time)
ppm cure:  156

Calculated, this gave me:

Cure #1          10.22g
Salt                52g
Brown sugar    102g

I also used 2 cups of soy sauce, 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp. garlic and onion powder (each).  I omitted the cayenne from the brine, as the Baldridge adds enough heat for me.

The meat was in the brine for 36 hours (Saturday batch), and 50 hours (Sunday batch).  I found I could fit 4.5 lbs at a time, on 4 racks, in the #2.  Due to this being an equilibrium brine, leaving it in an extra day made no difference in saltiness.  That's the great thing about equilibrium brining; once the sodium equalizes in the meat and solution, it absolutely cannot get saltier than calculated!

The Saturday batch got treated to 1.95 oz. of hickory, and the Sunday batch got mesquite.  I set the Auber to 145 for 10 hours.  Going only with time and temp, I only used the box temp probe.  Probe was placed in the middle of the 4 shelves, hanging down, but not touching shelves or meat.

I smoked, without the fan, for 2 full hours.  When I added the fan, the smoke had not completely stopped, but soon cleared out.  I think I'll go with 1.5 oz of wood next time. 

The Saturday batch went for just over 8 hours.  It was patted-dry before smoking.  Because the meat is cured, it has a deep red appearance, even when dry.  It's plenty dry, but still soft and chewy.  I keep the finished jerky in the fridge, to avoid any mold issues, since it's not dry as leather.

The Sunday batch didn't get patted dry.  Straight from the brine to the racks!  This batch took 9 hours total.  I couldn't really tell any difference, other than it took longer.  At about 6 hours in, I bumped the temp up to 150.  It's good to absorb excess brine from the meat before smoking.

I'll try to reproduce this recipe next time, as my son let me know it was perfect! 8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:13:33 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Brine-cured Beef Jerky with the James Jerky Dryer, "Part Deux!"
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »
That looks awesome!

I was thinking I would like to try that Jim Baldridge Seasoning as I love to try different seasonings. I have a cupboard full of probably 10-20 different kinds right now. But at $12 for a 4.7oz shaker or $20 for a 12oz shaker shipped, it is pretty spendy.

Are there cheaper places or do they just sell it direct?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:41:30 PM »
Hey Tony, what is a good cut of meat to make jerky with other than Deer meat. I would like to try some beef jerky but not sure of what cut to purchase.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »
Tony,

The jerky looks really good, I have not made jerky in over 20 years. I may put this on my list for Xmas gifts for family and friends.

Greg

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:12:21 PM »
Hey Tony, what is a good cut of meat to make jerky with other than Deer meat. I would like to try some beef jerky but not sure of what cut to purchase.

bill, basically any cut of meat that is low in fat and connective tissue and sinew can be used.

Look for what is on sale in the meat markets and grocery stores.

Many meat markets will even thin slice it for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »
So maybe an eye of the round, london broil, or rump roast. Is this what you are talking about. Not keen on meat terminology yet, but am trying to catch on. Next week will be going to a place in K.C. to check out their meat dept. called Restaurant Depot.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »

I like the eye of round roasts best, because they are very lean.  You can trim away any excess fat, after slicing (fat is the enemy to good jerky).  Just look for the leanest piece of beef you can find!  I've used sirloin tip roasts, too, but much more waste.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »
Thanks now in wait for membership card to kcbs, then can hit the restaurant depot...

MarkF

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »
I second the use of "Eye of The Round".

Mark
One with too many toys.....
Smokin-it #2, #3
Weber Kettle One Touch Gold, Smokey Joe Gold
Chargriller Outlaw with SFB
Camerons Stove Top Smoker

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 04:17:07 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, I have a couple of questions, before you slice you put it in the freezer for about an hour, is this right to firm up and make slicing easier? Also I know you gave me instructions b/4 on removing the membrane from ribs but cannot find it. Can you repeat for me, thanks?

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, I have a couple of questions, before you slice you put it in the freezer for about an hour, is this right to firm up and make slicing easier? Also I know you gave me instructions b/4 on removing the membrane from ribs but cannot find it. Can you repeat for me, thanks?

Yes, firming-up in the freezer for an hour or so makes the slicing much easier.  It will thaw before you're done slicing, but just toward the end.

The easiest way I've found to remove the membrane is to start in the middle of the rack, with a butter knife.  Gently work it under the membrane, from side to side, to make a "pocket" all the way across.  Insert a finger and thumb, hold the ribs down, and lift up on the membrane "handle" like a little meat suitcase.  The membrane will strip off from the middle to the ends!  Takes me about 2 minutes to clean 3 racks!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
And that will work on spare ribs also? I wish we still had a milgram's grocery store. My mom used to get really good ribs there. Sort if a St. Louis cut but still had the flap on the back. They were really good and lots of meat. I might get lucky at the Restaurant Depot.

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »
Bill - it'll work with St Louis cuts as well.  If they're full racks of spares (untrimmed), it's a little tougher.  The membrane isn't as "consistent" as it is on baby backs.  May have to use a combination of techniques.  Nothing wrong with the paper towel method, I just find the middle-out technique much quicker.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 02:12:13 AM »
Another question for the jerky, after you slice it. Do you use a brine mixture or a dry mixture to cure before smoking? And do you use your own or a store bought one. I have the Hi Mountain jerky cure that is hickory flavored. Also just looked and does not appear to have msg in it. At least could not find where msg was listed on the outside package. My Dad uses that brand on deer meat but does not use the cure. He complains it is too much salt. So when he gives me jerky I say thanks and toss it. Usually if not after a few days it has mold on it. ewwwwwww
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:22:07 PM by elkins20 »

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »
Another question for the jerky, after you slice it. Do you use a brine mixture or a dry mixture to cure before smoking? And do you use your own or a store bought one. I have the Hi Mountain jerky cure that is hickory flavored. Also just looked and does not appear to have msg in it. At least could not find where msg was listed on the outside package. My Dad uses that brand on deer meat but does not use the cure. He complains it is too much salt. So when he gives me jerky I say thanks and toss it. Usually if not after a few days it has mold on it. ewwwwwww

Bill, look back to the first post in this thread, and I detail the brine I use.  There is also a link to my first attempt at an equilibrium brine, and the results.  This brine works very well, and I can reproduce it very consistently.  The use of curing salt is vitally important to jerky, imo.  The Hi Mountain cure you referenced is fine.  I just choose to make my own, so I have better control of the ingredients and salt content.
Tony from NW Arkansas