Author Topic: Chicken wings on the #3  (Read 3552 times)

TheSneakyZebra

Chicken wings on the #3
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »
Smoked a couple pounds of chicken wings today. I dusted them with some salt and granulated onion and garlic and let that sit for a few hours. I then brushed the wings with some melted butter and dusted them with Tom Douglas' chicken rub and in the smoker they went set at 250 for 2 hours and 20 minutes with about 3 ounces of cherry wood. After that I put them in the oven with the broiler set to high and let them go for about 5 minutes to crisp up the skin. These turned out good. I think I will go for 4 ounces of wood and maybe try brining them just for some contrast. Please excuse the picture quality, the kiddos were running around me  ;D I attached the graph for the temps. These units definitely swing, so I am looking forward to setting up the PID this week. I will say I am starting to notice the taste difference with electric in comparison to charcoal, not bad, but it is different.

Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Chicken wings on the #3
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:04:21 PM »
Fine looking wings, Mikey!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »
Thanks Tony!
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »
Looks great Mike!

It's hard to beat smoked chicken.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Brian N.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
Very nice.. i wonder how they would cook if we bread them first then smoke.  Then grill for the 5 min...it's something I want to try this weekend. Which is why I'm on here looking at chicken ideas........

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
My wife was impressed, as was I they look great. I haven't tried wings yet.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:44:39 PM »
Thanks Brian- As of now, I have probably done this almost a dozen times. These are an easy crowd pleaser, some times I brine them and some times I do not, either way they are good eating!
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM