Author Topic: Brisket question  (Read 3033 times)

mnsmoker

Brisket question
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »
I have been thinking about doing my first brisket in the #2 but the trouble is the only place I can find a whole packer they have only been stocking select grade. While I have done a bunch of choice grade briskets I am wondering if a select would be a waste of 30 bucks I read somewhere that selects are from older steers. I could always cube it up pop it back in and turn it into burnt ends. If anyone has had any luck or has any tips that would be awesome cause it looks like I will be stuck with the select..........made a pork butt today waiting on the stall.....celebrating a rare day in the teens up here.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brisket question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »
Enjoy the heatwave, Jim! 8)

I think a select grade will be fine, with proper prep work.  The grading, from my understanding, considers marbling and maturity, as well as other factors (like texture, coarseness of the grain, and color).  Obviously, USDA Prime is the best grade for all of these.  Choice is second, and Select is third.  There is a Standard grade below these, too.  This is the grade that stores will usually rename (because they're allowed to) to things like "Special Reserve" and the like.  It means it's Standard grade, but most consumers don't know.

As for Select:  I dry-aged a 14 lb ribeye for 21 days, and it was Select.  Best steaks I've ever had.  So, prep can overcome grade sometimes.

What I mean by proper prep:  The brisket, as I'm sure you know, is a fickle beast for sure.  But, with good injection, rub, and proper smoking, you can tame the beast.  I want to try Walt's brisket brine and injection.  He swears by it!  I, personally, usually inject with my own concoction and then rub/rest in the fridge overnight.  I also don't foil during smoking - just let it ride at 225 until it hits 195.  Then wrap and rest.  I think this will work fine for a select cut.  Just my 2-cents, though! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mnsmoker

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
I usually just rub my briskets with equal parts pepper paprika and kosher salt but given the grade I will try your tips....if she aint tender I will have 10 pounds of burnt ends...LOL!!!!  THANKS!!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »
Sounds like you're good either way, Jim! ;)   Injection is great with brisket, though.  One other thing...I like to trim the fat cap to about 1/4", and then score it in 1" sections down to the meat.  This really helps in rub/smoke penetration, and is still plenty of good rendering fat.  Just a thought.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:06:14 PM »
Jim, I have been smoking flats and that is a good alternative.  I inject with some beef broth and let sit overnight.  I coat with vegetable oil and apply a rub.  I let the flat rest for an hour trying to get to room temperature, then add 2-3 oz of wood and set the temp to 240.  Once the flat has been smoking for 5 hours I wrap and let it continue to cook until the IT hits 200 I pull out the smoker and let rest for a half hour. good luck!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »
Here's one of my injection brisket recipes.  You can substitute any full-bodied beer for the Foster's; that's just my preference. ;)

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=979.0
Tony from NW Arkansas