Author Topic: Brisket smokering  (Read 2844 times)

Jhoussock

Brisket smokering
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »
I have a few questions to throw out about smoke rings. I understand chemically why they occur, and how to cheat to get one. First way using the nitrates from tenderquick and second using the nitrates from a few lumps of charcoal(kingsford apparently has no2 inside their bricks). My question is, while I want a smokering I do not want to compromise the taste. Does using tender quick change taste if washed off after putting it on? And will the charcoal add a charcoal flavor or creosote flavor to my brisket? Any input would be great. Thanks! Oh and if anyone on here has a successful method please share!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Brisket smokering
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
Welcome!  Glad to have you here!

Ah, the elusive smoke ring!  As you said, you don't want to affect the taste to get one.  Makes sense, since the ring itself is tasteless; just "eye candy."  I've tried the charcoal in the smoke box trick, but never got a noticeable ring.

I get a "faux" smoke ring in my pork loin brine by adding a tsp. of #1 curing salt to the 1 gallon brine.  It doesn't impart any more saltiness than the regular salt brine does, and does leave a pretty cool ring.  I haven't tried it on brisket yet, but plan to.  Just remember, that products like Tender Quick are mostly salt, so you will be adding salt. 

My "bottom line" on the smoke ring?  No longer important to me at all.  I have learned that the Q I can make in my SI is superior to the quality of most I've had with a smoke ring, so it's all about the taste, not the appearance.  I am only judged on taste, not appearance.  I think what I cook looks great, even without a smoke ring.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jhoussock

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »
If I use the Morton's tenderquick do I just follow the amt per pound on the bag I know nitrates are nothing to mess with and can even kill you if you ingest to much.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »
It depends on if you are dry-curing, or wet-curing.  Remember, the nitrites in the curing salt (Tender Quick) are doing just that; curing.  I don't know that I would attempt to dry-cure a brisket.  I don't think the flavor profile would be what you are looking for, and the potential for over-curing is great.  I would go with a brine, like this one:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1235.0

You could modify the ingredients, based on taste, but use the #1 curing salt to get your ring.  There is a difference between #1 curing salt and Tender Quick.  The tender quick actually has a lower amount of nitrites/nitrates than the pink curing salt, and is intended for dry-cures.  #1 cure is intended for wet (brine) cures. 

You're right about not playing around with cures.  Do some research on the site, under brines, and educate yourself.  Walt has a good brisket brine, and you could just add 1 tsp. of #1 cure to it.  I know this is really just for academic purposes, since I don't worry about a smoke ring at all, but I'm glad to help in the "name of science!" ;)   One thing to remember is that you will not get good nitrate penetration under the fat cap, just on the flat side.  This may be a case where the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!