Author Topic: First smoke temperature issues.....  (Read 11873 times)

BBQboy

First smoke temperature issues.....
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:35:41 AM »
Just got my Model Number 1 on Wednesday.
I ran it for the first time yesterday.
Pork butt took 18 hours, the temperature inside the smoker never got above 205 degrees and it took several hours for it to reach that temperature.
Temperature was set at 250 degrees.
Outside temperature was 15 degrees, very light breeze.
The smoker never cycled on and off, because it never came up to temperature.
Pork butt was just shy of 8 pounds.
Water pan was beside the smokebox.
Any idea what happened?  :-[

<Gus>

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: First smoke temperature issues.....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
18 hours for an 8lb butt isn't "totally" out of the ordinary. You would normally figure 1.5/2.0 hours/pound. So, you are a bit over that, but every piece of meat is different.

The main question, is how did the butt turn out?

Where did you have your smoker probe located?

When you say the smoker never cycled on/off, do you mean the red light never turned off? If so, it sounds to me like you may have a problem and should talk to Steve at Smokin-It. Telephone/Text - 260-417-9951 Email - smokin.it.info@gmail.com

I have a butt in my smoker (#3) and my temps (dial set at 225) have ranged from 205-265 over night with overnight low temp of -7.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BBQboy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »
There were two thermocouples in the smoker to measure air temperature.
They were placed at the same level as the meat but they were not close enough to anything so as to cause a problem.
Both thermocouples were within a degree or two the entire smoke.

The butt was a bit mushy and rather dry in spots - very disappointing.

<Gus>

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »
There were two thermocouples in the smoker to measure air temperature.
They were placed at the same level as the meat but they were not close enough to anything so as to cause a problem.
Both thermocouples were within a degree or two the entire smoke.

The butt was a bit mushy and rather dry in spots - very disappointing.

<Gus>

Welcome, BBQBoy.  Sorry to hear of your issues.  Questions: 

1.  Did you see the red light on top go on and off at all? 

2.  What kind of temp probes were you using? 

3.  Tell us about your meat prep (injected? brined? just rub?)

4.  If this was a bone-in butt, are you certain your meat probe wasn't touching the bone? 

5.  Based on your description of "mushy and dry in spots," sounds like it was overcooked.  What was the internal temp when you pulled it out?

6.  Did you foil-wrap and let it rest prior to shredding?

The more we know about the details, the better we can help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BBQboy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 11:46:54 AM »
1.  Did you see the red light on top go on and off at all?

As I said above, the element (and the light) never cycled on and off.

2.  What kind of temp probes were you using?

Professional Omega thermocouples.

3.  Tell us about your meat prep (injected? brined? just rub?)
Rub only.

4.  If this was a bone-in butt, are you certain your meat probe wasn't touching the bone?

There were two thermocouples in the meat, neither thermocouple was touching bone.

5.  Based on your description of "mushy and dry in spots," sounds like it was overcooked.  What was the internal temp when you pulled it out?
It sure was overcooked, it was in the smoker for 18 hours! Finish temperature was 196 degrees.

6.  Did you foil-wrap and let it rest prior to shredding?
No foil and no shredding.

<Gus>

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:37:04 PM »
If I may suggest smoking with no pan of water and repeating the cook. I suggest this because this style smoker is fairly tight and the water introduces another variable. Also there is generally enough fat in a butt to keep the meat moist. Meat is not cheap, I know, but you just may get different and better results in a shorter period of time. Water evaporation under certain conditions produces a cooling effect. Not saying this is the case with these smokers but it is worth exploring as a possible solution.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
It seems odd that you weren't able to get to temp if the red light was on the whole time.

Usually, I think we here that when this happens the red light cycles on and off while not getting to temp.

That is why I was thinking that there may be some type of problem.

I have used a mini-foil pan in all of my smokes and not had a problem. But it would definitely be worth a shot to try it without the water pan to see if you get better results. Like Sarge said, you should not need a water pan for a pork butt smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
Hey Gus, I guess I misunderstood.  I thought you were smoking pulled pork.  I would suggest 175 internal temp for sliced pork.  We usually go 199-203 for pulled pork.  Either way, I would also suggest double-wrapping in HD foil when you take it out of the smoker, place it in cooler with a towel on top, and let the meat rest for 30 min to an hour.  This makes a big difference in the results.

Forgive me if I've insulted your intelligence; I don't know what your smoking background is, as you are brand new to the forum.  I sensed a little annoyance in your reply about the light.  I only asked the specific question to help isolate the problem. 

We're glad you're here.  When you have time, go to the Introductions section and tell us about yourself and your smoker background.  My comments here are meant to help, so please don't take offense. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BBQboy

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »
It was pulled pork - we pull it, we don't shred it.

I ran the smoker today with the two small water pans both sides of the smoke box (no meat load) and it came up to temperature within an hour.
I don't get it!

<Gus>

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 02:55:13 PM »
I pull it too, Gus.  I said "shred" in my post because I didn't want to confuse "pulling" it out of the smoker with "pulling" the pork.  lol.  No worries!

May sound funny, but you may have just had a bad pork butt.  I've had, on rare occasion, a cut of meat that just does NOT cook right, or turn out right, even though I follow my same successful formula!  That's the thing about Q - sometimes, it just doesn't go as planned!

I would suggest do a chicken, or some baby back ribs, and see what the results are.
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »
I have to agree that if the light never cycled off then the box would have become very hot indeed but sounds like the internal temp got up to level. Odd that it didn't turn out at that point. Like Tony stated, maybe it was a bad cut of pork but if you only rubbed it that could be leading towards certain parts drying out a bit. I would suggest giving Tony's brine a try next time. It is super awesome all the times I have used it and others can attest to that as well. I think you might need to give the unit a few smokes to settle down a bit.
Curious, did you season the smoker first? or was this the first thing you smoked?
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

BBQboy

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »
The light never cycled off because the smoker never came up to the PID set temperature of 225 degrees.
The internal temperature never exceeded 205 degrees.
The door was not opened during the entire smoke.

The smoker was seasoned.

<Gus>
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:27:38 AM by BBQboy »

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 08:33:21 AM »
Do you have an Auber PID?  I only ask because you said the "PID" set temp. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

BBQboy

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 09:51:18 AM »
The PID is an Omega.

<Gus>

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
Gus,

If I remember, you indicated that with just water pans, the smoker did hit and stabilize at 250 (or am I thinking of another post somewhere).  In any event, I would still try smoking another butt, same weight without the water pan. Call it a test.

I never use added moisture.  And I let the meat, be it ribs or butt, sit outside of the refrigerator for at approximately 30 minutes with just a dry rub before it goes into the smoker. Outside of one ruined butt (over smoked, but not overcooked) I have always gotten a nice juicy product with good bark. And I shoot for an IT of 190/195, which is my preference. 

I have had butts within just a couple of ounces of each other vary in cooking times by as little as 30 minutes to as much as 2 hours.  Maybe my probe was sitting in fat rather than meat from smoke to smoke. But they were all good.  And my brother (model 3 owner) uses no water pan and relies only on IT, does not monitor the chamber temp as it is going to do what it does with or without an additional reading, and is having good success as well.

I hope you get this narrowed down. 

Dave

I just looked at the Omega PID site.  Looks like a good solid unit, although I don't know which model you have.  Under the Auber tips and tricks topic, it seems like most folks modify and bypass the stock controller to eliminate the conflict between analog and digital.  I definitely cannot speak to that but it is worth considering.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:35:50 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives