Author Topic: Probe Position for Brisket  (Read 9086 times)

johnnytex

Probe Position for Brisket
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
I was wondering, where does everyone place their temp probe in a Brisket. The point or flat? I usually go to 195 in the point but the flat seems a little dry. Should i temp the flat?

Tex From Ennis, TX

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Probe Position for Brisket
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
I haven't braved doing a brisket yet. But if you have a dual probe thermometer, I would probe both the flat and the point and forget about the smoker temp.

When the flat gets to temp, you could remove it to rest and leave the point in until it reaches temp.

I am going to try one someday and I think this will be my approach.

What do the rest of you guys think of my thoughts/suggestion?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »
Hey Tex,

For packers, I insert the probe at the tip of the point, about an inch into the flat below it.  This allows me to tell exactly when the flat is getting close to temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »

I just did my first packer and was a little confused on the subject.  It was a 14.5 pounder.  I think alot of folks get confused when the word Brisket is used.  Many folks consider a "flat" as a brisket, while others consider a Packer (Flat and Point) as a brisket.  Heck, many folks don't even know "packers" exist.  You can't find them every where.  Thankfully, that's not an issue in Nebraska or Texas.

Given that confusion, I think some folks operate under the impression that the "point" is the pointy end of the flat. 

Given it was my first packer, I did the same thing you did.  I monitored the temp in the point (the big thick fatty end.  While I was very happy with my results, I felt my flat was just a tad dry for my taste.  When I think of this logically, if you monitor the temp in the thickest part (point), naturally the thinnest part (flat) will be significantly warmer.

SO...  the next one I do, I will monitor the flat.  When the flat gets to temp, I'm going to separate the point and the flat, wrap and wait on the flat, cube the point for burnt ends and finish them in the cooker.

Just my experience....
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

es1025

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 07:56:04 PM »
Johnny
I only have smoked a flat.  I usually put the probe in the middle. Temp 195.  I inject and let sit overnight.  I have been lucky been juicy each time. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:57:35 PM »
Ah!  Great point, Ed!  Injection and 195.  Perfect every time! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »
I bring the flats I cook to 200 with the probe in the thickest part as well.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

johnnytex

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:26:52 AM »

I call a brisket a packer. (Flat and Point) My last one was a 16.5 pounder. I am thinking I am measuring the temp wrong.
Tex From Ennis, TX

rickne

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
I think alot of people do what you and I do.  Tony's method is the same although he's a little more specific where he places the probe into the point.  The flat on the packer I did last weekend was very much like most restaurants serve in this part of the country.  It was good, but like you, I felt it was a tad dry.  I think most restaurants brisket is too dry too.

Maybe it's just the nature of the beast and I'm being too picky.  But I next time, I think I will monitor both the point and flat and do a little experimenting.

I have tasted the perfect brisket (in my mind).  It was a gentlemen that was cooking across from us at the Missouri State Championship in Blue Springs, MO.  I can't remember his name or team name, but his brisket is what I strive to produce.  I've never had anything like it.  Simply amazing.

Maybe someday...
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »
Rick Hold on to that dream sir, you can achieve it! ;)
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Walt

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »
Rick, Try my method.  Its a multi day prep but well worth it.  I have never been a big fan of brisket because of dryness & chewy fat.  The method I use resolved those issues for me & now I actually yearn for it.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 07:06:38 PM »
Walt, I've heard brining might catch on some day! ;)   A brisket is something I haven't brined, but will.  There's no reason it shouldn't make the results fantastic - as you've proven!!
Tony from NW Arkansas