Author Topic: Smoked Almonds....  (Read 4569 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Smoked Almonds....
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »
Just purchased 5 lbs. of one inch long almonds. I have a little advice on smoking them. But, need more info. I know will need to brine them, and am leaning towards just using salt, garlic and onion powder. Also maybe some smoked paprika. Would like to get close to Blue Diamond smoked almond taste. I understand can smoke them at a temp of 225 for a 2 hour period. Ingredients: for Blue Diamond smokehouse almonds:
Almonds, Canola And/Or Safflower Oil, Salt, Corn Maltodextrin, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor, Yeast, Hydrolyzed Corn And Soy Protein And Natural Flavors.
Should be easy to duplicate, I think a powdered salt, garlic and onion powder smoked with hickory.
Thanks for your help. Here is the new link for Jeff's how to smoke nuts: http://www.smoking-meat.com/how-to-smoke-nuts-and-seeds
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:41:24 AM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Smoked Almonds....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:42:23 PM »
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

elkins20

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »
Thanks John, I have a few questions still, sorry about that. But, did you use raw almonds or roasted? Did you use Jeff's rub or something else to season the almonds with? And at any point during the smoke did you stir the almonds to get an even smoke? ???
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »
I used raw.   Personally try brine and non brine almonds and see what you like better.  I dont recall if I shook or flipped them.  I laid them out w other nuts on alum foil.

I used Oakridge seasoning, but any rub should work aok. 

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/game-bird-n-chicken/#axzz3ImqhtBQD

Walnuts personally I think turned out better, cashew a close 2nd. Rub stuck and carmelized better.  Peanuts not so hot esp brined.  Some nuts took better to the brine than others. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:51:25 PM »
Last batch

elkins20

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:03:51 PM »
Thanks, John and stay cool. I just looked and 96 degrees on my front porch.

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »
Was wondering what temp. did you have the smoker set at? And in addition after you had them in the brine did you let them dry prior to smoking? I found a pretty good price for raw almonds on e-bay and the shipping was free on a 5 lb bag. That beats $10.00 for one pound at wal-mart. I have a really salty rub from Texas BBQ Rub it is their original and will probably add that to water along with some salt, I think will cook the brine just to get everything dissolved. I was also thinking about just using salt, onion powder and garlic powder making my own brine. Seems like the almonds that we used to get on the planes was like that.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 04:16:54 PM »
Patted them down with a paper towel. Use the temp that was called for in the link above. 

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
Thanks John this helps a lot...