Author Topic: Pick up smoker?  (Read 13568 times)

roblox84

Re: Pick up smoker?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »
I placed my order for the #2 so I'll probably pick it up tomorrow and start smoking during my days off this week.

I was wondering though do most people stay with the wood chunks for this smoker? And as long as the amount/weight of the chunks is the same it doesn't matter the shape of them, is this correct? Or do the cylindrical ones burn more efficiently in this smoker?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:30:07 PM by roblox84 »

Walt

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
I have had great outcomes with chunks, SI dowels & chips.  I also have used pecan slivers from firewood as well as adding a brickette of charcoal.  Most frequently I use dowels or chunks for standard smokes.  Chips & slivers or even pellets for low temp smokes less than 200 deg.  Follow a well documented cook from this forum for your 1st couple smokes & leave any previous smoking knowledge to make adjustments AFTER this 1st smoke or 2.  Enjoy!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

roblox84

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 02:52:12 AM »
I received my smoker today and it looks very nice. I plan on smoking ribs on Wednesday and pulled pork Thursday, problem is I don't know what is the best cut I should get for pulled pork, pork butt or pork shoulder? I'm going to go to my local butcher, is there anything I should tell him how to cut a specific piece?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 03:08:01 AM »
There are two main types of pork shoulder, the Boston Butt (upper) and the Picnic (lower). The Boston Butt is the preferred of the two. You're going to want to ask for a Boston Butt and your butcher will know what you want.

I just warmed some up tonight that I had pulled out of my freezer. Was so good, I just ate it plain.

Check out this pic that shows the locations of the two shoulder pieces:

http://0.tqn.com/d/culinaryarts/1/0/d/H/-/-/cutsofpork.jpg

Its not the best picture. But it gives you an idea of where the roasts are located.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

roblox84

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:37 AM »
There are two main types of pork shoulder, the Boston Butt (upper) and the Picnic (lower). The Boston Butt is the preferred of the two. You're going to want to ask for a Boston Butt and your butcher will know what you want.

I just warmed some up tonight that I had pulled out of my freezer. Was so good, I just ate it plain.

Check out this pic that shows the locations of the two shoulder pieces:

http://0.tqn.com/d/culinaryarts/1/0/d/H/-/-/cutsofpork.jpg

Its not the best picture. But it gives you an idea of where the roasts are located.

What weight Boston butt did you get and how long did you smoke it for?

rickne

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
Definitely a Boston Butt.  Preferably with the bone in. 

They usually ranged from 6-8 lbs.  I try to stay on the smaller side of that range if I can but you don't always have the choice.

Cooking times are all over the place.  Sometimes the meat has a mind of it's own.  Count on 1-2 hrs per pound.  Use a meat probe and cook to your desired internal temp.  Mine is 200 degrees INTERNAL Temp.  After it's done, give it long rest.  I let it rest a minimum of 2 hours and have held them as long as 8 hours.  Pull the meat and enjoy.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
Mine was just shy of 8lbs and I smoked it at 225 for approximately 18 hours. But the ambient temps were around zero degrees when I smoked mine, so not sure if that affected things. You want to figure 1-2 hours per pound.

Like Rick said, every piece of meat is unique. So you need a good thermometer like a Maverick to monitor the internal temp. You want to get it somewhere between 198-203 if you want to pull it and 170-175 if you want to slice it.

After you pull it, double-wrap it in foil, and then place it in a cooler with some towels on top of it for a minimum of 30 minutes, but 1-2 hours would be even better. This allows the juices on the surface to ease back into the meat. Don't worry it will be plenty hot inside even after a two-hour rest.

Keep a look out for the stall that will occur around 165-180 or so. Each time is different. It can stall at a temp for up to three hours. But if you have time, just let it ride and it will work itself out and start going up again.

Check out the Pork section, there are lots of example of people's individual smokes and their experience.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW, I brined mine and it turned out awesome. There are recipes in the Brine section for this.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
Can't add much to the great advice you've received on the butt, so I'll just add my endorsement of the Boston butt cut of pork shoulder.  I prefer bone-in, and usually average 8-10 pounds (what I can get in NW AR).  The cut is perfect for pulled pork, and is much better than the picnic cut.  Brining will produce some fantastic pulled pork!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

roblox84

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I will start a new thread on my first smoke Thursday or Friday.

es1025

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »
Go for the #2 at a minimum.  If you have the space and the $$$ spring for the #3.  Use your tax refund...
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »
Hey Rob, here's something I posted awhile back about how the Boston butt got its name.  Kind of useless information, but I thought I'd share!  Who knows?  You might be on Jeopardy! some day! ;)

"There are actually two cuts that come from the front shoulder of a pig; the picnic shoulder, and the Boston butt pork shoulder.  The Boston butt has absolutely nothing to do with the "butt" as we know it - it's actually the opposite end of Porky!  The Boston butt is the top cut of the shoulder, whereas the picnic cut is the lower part of the leg. 

The Boston butt got it's name in Colonial times when butchers would pack the "less desirable" cuts from the pig in barrels referred to as "butts."  They would then sell them cheap to travelers or ships.  "Less desirable" meaning anything other than the ham from the back legs, or loin from "high on the hog" (another obscure saying from days of old).  Funny thing is, the name stuck everywhere except Boston!

In bbq, I find the Boston butt to be more desirable meat than the picnic, simply for taste.  But, there you have it - how the "Boston butt" became the Boston butt"
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

roblox84

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
Go for the #2 at a minimum.  If you have the space and the $$$ spring for the #3.  Use your tax refund...

I actually already picked up my #2 smoker and it is pretty darn big. I think there is way more space then i'll ever need even for a summer barbeque party.

roblox84

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »
Hey Rob, here's something I posted awhile back about how the Boston butt got its name.  Kind of useless information, but I thought I'd share!  Who knows?  You might be on Jeopardy! some day! ;)

"There are actually two cuts that come from the front shoulder of a pig; the picnic shoulder, and the Boston butt pork shoulder.  The Boston butt has absolutely nothing to do with the "butt" as we know it - it's actually the opposite end of Porky!  The Boston butt is the top cut of the shoulder, whereas the picnic cut is the lower part of the leg. 

The Boston butt got it's name in Colonial times when butchers would pack the "less desirable" cuts from the pig in barrels referred to as "butts."  They would then sell them cheap to travelers or ships.  "Less desirable" meaning anything other than the ham from the back legs, or loin from "high on the hog" (another obscure saying from days of old).  Funny thing is, the name stuck everywhere except Boston!

In bbq, I find the Boston butt to be more desirable meat than the picnic, simply for taste.  But, there you have it - how the "Boston butt" became the Boston butt"

That's interesting, I wonder why the name didn't stick in Boston?

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 08:12:03 AM »
Not sure why, but I'll try to find out! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »
Tony, that explains the term "butt" but why "boston"?
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill