Author Topic: Pick up smoker?  (Read 13552 times)

roblox84

Pick up smoker?
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »
I just found out that Smokin It is located about 15 min. from me and was wondering if it's possible to pick up the smoker to save on the shipping costs? I searched the website but found no mention of this. Thanks.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Pick up smoker?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 11:16:10 PM »
Yes. Many have done so. You are so lucky!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 11:16:40 PM »
Yep!  Those that can do.  Congrats on the luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

roblox84

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:29:58 PM »
Yeah that is lucky, everything on the internet to me seems like it's located in California or no where near Ohio. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Model #1 and #2, have you guy's been happy with your Model #1's or do you wish you got the next biggest model? I only bbq a slab of ribs or maybe a 4lb brisket for me and my wife so it's a little hard to justify the $100 price difference. But then I start thinking what about that summer BBQ I want to throw once and will I have room for food if I buy the #1? What should I do :)? Also, why does this smoker never need refilling of wood but the Masterbuilt ones i've looked at need wood added every hour?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:36:34 PM by roblox84 »

rickne

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »
If you are picking it up, get the #2 without question.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »
I agree with Rick. For $100 and no shipping, getting at least the #2 would be my recommendation. But I might be a bit biased as I have a #3.

As stated here many times, you can always smoke less in a bigger smoker, but you can't smoke more in a smaller smoker.

Either way you decide, I think you'll be very happy with a Smokin-It.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »
Wow how nice it would be to live that close. I have the #2 and find that it does just fine for small get togethers but at times I really wish I had the #3. For no shipping costs, definitely get the #2.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Walt

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:52:55 AM »
I have a family of 3 & own a SI2.  My cooks are usually for 3 to 15 people & I could easily serve more people if necessary.  The 2 will give you a lot of flexibility.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

roblox84

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 01:13:13 AM »
Ok model #2 it is. I just hope there is only one Fairlawn, Ohio and not another Fairlawn on the other side of Ohio, lol. I'm very excited about this smoker, every other one I looked at needed hourly tending refilling wood but I am very surprised how this unit needs so little wood and what minimal tending it requires.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 01:19:22 AM »
The no tending is awesome! My first smoke was a Boston Butt that I put in at midnight and then I went to bed and slept like a baby. ;) The next day I had some of the best pulled pork I have ever had.

You will love the #2.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

roblox84

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 01:43:46 AM »
The no tending is awesome! My first smoke was a Boston Butt that I put in at midnight and then I went to bed and slept like a baby. ;) The next day I had some of the best pulled pork I have ever had.

You will love the #2.

Nice, that's awesome! I was reading other posts where people said they were waking up every two to three hours to refill the wood or check the smoker and I was like oh no, no way I can do that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:09:31 AM by roblox84 »

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 07:21:53 AM »
YES!

Steve will meet you just off the interstate in the parking lot of a big box store to make it real convenient for you.

Wham done!
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 08:24:20 AM »
Yep, definitely get at least a No. 2
I just bought a No. 1 and I already wish I'd went with the No.2  :-\

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »
And if staring at a #2 go for the #3. 

It's a once in a lifetime purchase so splurge... Plus if you're picking it up its "all good."
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »
I own a #1, and have been testing a #2.  No-brainer - great decision to get the #2!  Fairlawn is in the Akron area.  Email Steve at smokin.it.info@gmail.com to arrange pickup.  He'll take great care of you!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!