Author Topic: PACKER time!  (Read 7499 times)

rickne

PACKER time!
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
Never had a brisket turn out to my overly critical satisfaction.  This is my first attempt to the SI #3.

Stay tuned.

Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Three Sons BBQ

Re: PACKER time!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »
Swing for the fences... Please let me know....
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Walt

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »
Rickne,

Try following the brisket cook I posted.  It was phenomenal.  Moist, tender & full of flavor.  The fat disolved as soon as it touched your tounge. Will be doing another as soon as I return.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

rickne

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
If you're not swinging for the fence, get out of the batters box.  I golf the same way.  That's just how I roll. 

Walt - I will check it out.  I knew there was a good write up recently.  I must have been yours.

I'm going to inject.  Simple rub (salt/pepper/garlic/onion powder).

My questions are:

I want to slice the flat.  I'd LIKE to cube the point and make burnt ends and even "pull" some if it.  Can I do that in one cook and how do I manage that?

Also, this thing is really thick at the point.  Twice as thick as the flat.  How do I manage that?

Walt

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »
My understanding for burnt ends is you need to pull @ 170, cube & reapply rub then back in the SI.  I have not done it yet.

I did slice the one I did but I had a very sharp Grantham knife.  It was so tender I could have pulled it.  I injected with a garlic mojo.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

rickne

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »
Walt - Can't find your post?

Another question...  If I take it 190...  is that in the flat or the point?

Walt

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »
Sorry I piggy backed on es105 brisket post.  Page 2.  Don't know how to insert a shortcut.  The probe should be in the thickest part.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

rickne

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 07:03:49 PM »
PANIC MODE....

One end of my Auber probe (Plug) is broke.  Switching my bypass back to normal.

I might have to put that on/off bypass swich on mine.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »
Rick, don't panic!  Run your temp at 225, with the probe in the thickest part (point and flat), halfway in.  Go to 195 for the flat.  The point will be done, too, but you can still cube for burnt ends.  Ideally, you would separate the point and pull it out at 175 to cube.  But, since it's attached, you can just let it ride with the rest.  The ends will still be great!  195, with a foil rest, should yield some good sliced briskie for the flat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »
Slice the whole thing. With a knife. No electric knife burning the taste. It will be worth it. What you don't eat cube or pull.

rickne

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
So those that don't have an Auber, it will not turn the element on unless both probes are plugged in.  Since I only have one probe, it won't work.  Since I bypassed the original controller, the unit will run continuously without the auber.

So I tore the back off and reversed my bypass, got the smoker running, got my packer on, and have smoke pouring out from the top.  I know my cooker will probably run at 200 degrees without the auber so this will be a long and slooooow cook.  It should be fine but could be a late dinner tomorrow.  Based on previous cooks with the stock thermostat, this 15lb packer will take 24 hours or more.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 07:19:16 AM »
Rickne ... Ugh. I feel your pain.

Well, you may want to add the bypass switch mod I did ... I put it in just in case of emergency. It was painful but well worth it.  I wasn't even planning on an Auber failure mode but now I'm all the more glad I've got that done.

Hey what was the weight, temp, and how long did you have to wait before you were chowin down?

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »
Any update on the packer, Rick?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

rickne

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
It was finished much earlier than I anticipated.  Being back on the stock controller, I ran between 190 and 210 with the controller pegged at 250.  As the brisket got warmer, my average box temp rose to about 220 this morning.  I pull the brisket at 9:30 this morning, poured the rest of my injection in it, wrapped it heavily in cling wrap and then foil, then put it back in the cooker at 150 degrees.

The Internal Temp when I pulled it was 184 in the point and about 194 in the flat.  It had an amazing bark on it and it "felt right".  I just hope I can hold this thing for 7 hours for dinner.  Of course, the bark will be gone after sitting in cling wrap for 7 hours, but hoping for a tasty brisket.

Not sure why it got done so fast.  Temps were not high as I mentioned.  Maybe the injection had something to do with it.  It was the first time I have tried injecting.  Turned out being about 1hr per pound.  I was expecting at least 1.5 hrs per pound.  There was to no stall of any kind during the cook, which surprised me. 

The injection was very tasty.  I just took Beef Consomme, cut it a little with water, put in some BBQ sauce and my salt/pepper/onion/garlic powder rub and mixed it up.  It smelled so good, I had to taste it.  I hope the brisket tastes like my injection.

Polska Q - I'm going to send you a PM about the toggle mod.  I didn't even put the back of my smoker back on for the cook and have decided to put a toggle switch in before I put it together.  I think I'm going to put it on the back, just to make the drilling simple.  I can put the back plate into a drill press.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:59:26 PM by rickne »

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
Great that things turned out well in the end, Rick!  I find that injecting or brining does shorten cook time.  The bypass switch is a great idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas