Author Topic: Temperature problems  (Read 34795 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Temperature problems
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 12:25:01 AM »
Mikey,

When I tested my smoker, I initially placed the probe in approximately the same location  distance wise from the wood box as the built in. The remote had a much higher reading than the built in.  On the second test, I placed the remote probe in the same location and on the same plane as the built in. Temperatures were more closely aligned than before, but still different and it was disheartening.  I boxed up the remote and stashed it away. Both the built in and the remote are digital. Which should I trust? I am sticking with the built in. I really have no choice as it is fully integrated and controls everything. But I do get good food, moist and tender every time.

If I remember correctly, the SI bulb is parallel to the back of the smoker. When you have the time, and if you are so inclined, paper clip your Maverick in the same location and in the same orientation. This way it is out of the direct path of the heat.  You may want to place a clean brick or some other heat sink item in the smoker when you do this.

You should get a quicker reading with the digital as the bulb capillary type probes have a time lag.  But I am curious if after an hour or so, your temperatures are closer. Maybe start at 150 and work up in 20 degree increments. Your research could prove beneficial for all.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »
Gregg- I opened it 2 times in the beginning, once to remove the water pan and the other time was to move the probe. I opened it one last time about 30 minutes before they were done to sauce the ribs. Each time they recovered quickly but only to about 215 or so.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 12:29:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply Dave! I am willing to try anything, so I may give this a whirl. However, like I said, it was set at 250 and was most definitely not running at 250. If it were at 250 or close to it 5.5 hours would have not resulted in the same product at all.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 01:03:07 AM »
Just checked my BBQ notes. On 1.5.14 I smoked a chicken, 1 rack of baby back ribs, & a tri-tip. I maintained a temperature range of 230-235. Ribs were pulled off after 4 hours and 15 minutes. Please see the pic below, they turned out perfect. The reason I share this is, if my #3 was actually smoking at or around 250 5.5 hours would have killed them  ;)
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »
Oh my lord that looks awesome. It's morning and I want to chow down already.  :P
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 10:14:55 AM »
Thanks! Smokin is one of the few things I know how to do.  8)
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »
I also just realized that on Youtube Steve cooks St. Louis style ribs set at 225 for 3 hours?!?! His unit must not have any problems getting to temp  ;)
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
Tony- Wasnt it you that posted 3 baby backs on the digital unit with a total cook time of 5 hours and 15 minutes? What temp was that smoking at exactly?

Is the auber more accurate than the digital unit you were using?

Mikey, yes, but that test was not an accurate comparison to the analog smokers.  The digital board in the test unit is inaccurate, and I am not testing it any further (I've actually bypassed it for the Auber).  Temps during that cook were all over the page, and it was not consistent.  I believe it actually averaged 230+, and it took 5:15.  In my analog model 1, I've smoked lots of ribs, so I was basing my time of 5 1/2-6 hours on that experience. 

If you want very accurate box temps, I highly recommend the Auber PID.  Not only does it hold a true temp within 1-2 degrees, it has the ability to set different steps, based either on time or internal temp triggers.  Fantastic unit, and definitely a plus for those concerned with accuracy that cannot be achieved with an analog controller.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
Thanks Tony. Do you think the Auber will work if my unit wont even get up to temp? Will the auber fix that?
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

DivotMaker

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
Yes, Mikey, especially if you bypass the analog controller.  The Auber then directly controls the element, and you will even be able to go higher than 250.  The Auber actually varies the output to the element to maintain temp.  I'm super impressed with it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
Do I have to bypass? If I do not what will the temp variance be compared to if I did. Thanks for the info.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »
Mikey,

Here is a link to a very professional looking mod involving the Auber.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.0
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
Hi Mike. The temp variances would be the same, but you would be limited to the max temp that your machine can get to without the Auber. The bypass takes the OEM smoker probe out of the equation, which lets the Auber control the element directly.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »
I like the idea of the Auber controlling the element, independent of the stock sensor.  The only potential problem with a bypass, as Rickne just experienced, is an Auber probe failure.  I think the idea of a bypass switch, like Polish Q did, is the way to go!  That way, you have an option of digital or analog. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
So it sounds like I would have to pay another $200 and modify the smoker just to get it to do what it should do out of the box?
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM