Author Topic: Digital WiFi SI2 controller  (Read 7182 times)

Speedy captain

Digital WiFi SI2 controller
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »
This is where I will discuss my upcoming digital, WiFi controller, for my SI2.

Background:  I was a homebrewer for a good many years, eventually culminating in the building of the Kill-A-Watt 9000 brewing system.  This system utilized a wireless temperature/process controller.  Temp control is only a small part of what it can do, you can literally program entire processes for heaters, pumps, valves etc.

Intent:  To utilize this background to produce a wireless temperature/process controller for my SI2.  This will be a simple build, considering my past builds utilized multiple heating elements, thermocouples, valves and pumps on a 240VAC CIRCUIT.  Currently I think the most user friendly option would be a plug and play controller, not a controller that is hard wired to the machine.  So this will be modular.

Outline:  Create a self contained unit that will embody power switching, wireless capability, and the process/temperature controller.  This will also include the PC interface which as I recall is also able to be displayed on something as small as an IPhone. 

Purpose:  Overkill.  Let's face it, who needs PID accuracy, with process control and data logging for their smoker?  Nobody.  However, I like projects, and this, in comparison to my previous controllers, will be dead simple.

Materials:  Junction box, weatherproof switch, GFCI outlet, process controller, SSR, wireless router, various wire, thermocouples.

Cost??  Cost isn't a consideration when doing something that is entirely overkill, however, estimate $315.

Let the building begin...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:59:02 AM by Speedy captain »
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Digital WiFi SI2 controller
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »
Can't wait to see what you devise, Rob!  Wik will love this thread - he's a brewer, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
Sounds very interesting!  8)

Walt

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
I was planning on ordering the Tappacue but will wait to see what you come up with. 
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »
I am going to be glued to this post. I love my tappacue but want the control portion.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Speedy captain

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »
It's going to be slow... I just bought a new motorcycle, and I'm leaving for a couple weeks for work.  Honestly, with the parts in hand, it would be an afternoon build.  I can't wait to share!!
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
PM me with your list and what you have in mind, if you are cool about the make up of the instruments, I will give you all the credit for sure.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Speedy captain

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:27:26 AM »
This is still on the table.  I started a small side business building CCT kits and GP brake reservoirs for street bikes, this spring, and it exploded.  It has been my priority, with same day/next day shipping involved etc...

I think it is finally under control and this week I'm going to start exploring parts procurement for this project.

Whereas I've had the ability to sit on stockpiles of parts for these other components, this project will be a one off, and if sold at any level, would really be on a case by case basis. 
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

Speedy captain

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 08:58:08 AM »
Without intensive searching, but using quality suppliers as I did with my brewing equipment, the basic cost of components for this venture exceeds $300.

Now, it will give PID control, the ability to program, control and monitor your smoker from a PC, iPad, smart phone...

This will only be for the nerdiest of smoking nerds.  It does not conform to the K.I.S.S. concept.

Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
Sounds very interesting.  8)
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
Without intensive searching, but using quality suppliers as I did with my brewing equipment, the basic cost of components for this venture exceeds $300.

Now, it will give PID control, the ability to program, control and monitor your smoker from a PC, iPad, smart phone...

This will only be for the nerdiest of smoking nerds.  It does not conform to the K.I.S.S. concept.

Benjammn (Ben)?...Wik?...lol...Polish Q (Steve)?...  Great techies around here who'll give you some really good feedback!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Speedy captain

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 11:27:09 PM »
We just launched a new product on the motorcycle front, and it's been burying us this week. 

$340 for components, assembly time approx. 2-3 hours per controller. 

I wish it were about $100 less costly.
Living FREE

Rob from Indianapolis

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 08:55:13 AM »
Sounds cool. Let's see what happens.

Reading some posts makes me think it's a great weekend for baby backs.

NFL draft, baseball, dry weather, birthdays, beer, why not?
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
Sounds cool. Let's see what happens.

Reading some posts makes me think it's a great weekend for baby backs.

NFL draft, baseball, dry weather, birthdays, beer, why not?

;D Thinking the same thing, Steve!
Tony from NW Arkansas