Author Topic: Baker's Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by "My Weight"  (Read 8093 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Baker's Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by "My Weight"
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:52:37 PM »
I decided to step up from my digital pocket scale, because my needs are changing!  While I'm impressed with the flat glass scales, like the Ozeri, I was looking for one that would allow me to access the control panel with "oversize" loads!  I knew I was looking for a more "commercial-style" scale, where the payload sits above the panel, so it can be accessed while weighing larger items.

I found the My Weight KD8000, and it looks good.  It arrived today, so I'll update the review with more "actual" uses.  I plan to do some precise weighing for equilibrium brines in the near future, so I wanted a scale that could handle the weight and size of brining containers.

A few things that attracted me to this scale were:

* The stainless steel platform size of 7"x7"
* The placement of the digital controls - facing forward, below the platform
* The "tare" weight feature (place a container on the platform, press "tare," and the scale zeros.  This allows you to weigh just the ingredients.
* The "hold" feature.  This allows you to weigh multiple ingredients, independently, for a combined weight.
* The appearance.  It has a nice footprint, and looks like a much-more expensive "commercial" scale.
* Great reviews on Amazon
* 1g resolution.  If you need more accuracy than that, you ain't cooking Q! ;)

I'll be putting this through its paces soon, so I'll follow-up with further evaluation.  It's $10 higher than the Ozeri, but I believe it will fit my needs better than the flat scales.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:55:15 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Baker's Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by "My Weight"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:59:57 PM »
Max weight?

I have issues as not all of my frozen meats are weighed as we buy a whole cow or pig and get it straight from the butcher. Would be nice to weigh something up to 15 lbs but also have resolution to,the ounce.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:07:22 AM »
good looking scale!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:10:20 AM »
Max weight?

I have issues as not all of my frozen meats are weighed as we buy a whole cow or pig and get it straight from the butcher. Would be nice to weigh something up to 15 lbs but also have resolution to,the ounce.

8000 g, 17.64 lbs.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
Whoa..... That is kewl.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 07:15:43 PM »
Yep!  I tested it with a few known-weight golf club shaft weights:  3 x 7g, one at a time...perfect 7, 14, 21.  1 x 10 g...dead on.  2 x 2.5g... read 2, then combined for 5.  Couldn't be happier with that kind of accuracy!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
First actual use was last weekend, for making a jerky brine.  For the dry parts, it handled the small gram weights perfectly.  When measuring the liquid weight, it updated and stabilized very quickly, so it was easy to get a precise weight while pouring.  So far, I'm very pleased with this scale.  It's also nice that you can still read and use the controls, even with an oversize pan on top.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
Oh Tony... And then I remember this thread. :-)

War chest incomplete. That's okay this is a good Easter gift idea.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:49:30 PM by Polish Q »

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 01:38:57 PM »
Then again, is the war chest ever really complete?? ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Nimrod

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
Tony,
I'm in the market for a better scale and this old thread was the only one I found related to scales.  The KD8000 seems to still be at or near the top of the list according to Amazon and I wondered if you might update your review having (presumably) a couple years service from it?
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 07:30:43 PM »
Dave, I've been very happy with this scale, and use it all the time!  I haven't even had to change the batteries yet!  The display is clear, it has all the weight types I use, and is accurate.  I tested it again, not too long ago (to see if it had lost accuracy) with known weights, and it was still dead-on!  I'm careful with it, which I'm sure helps.  I never put anything on it, except things I'm legitimately trying to weigh (in other words, I don't inadvertently stack anything on it, while not in use).

Overall, I'd certainly buy it again!  Wow, and it's almost 3 years old!  Time flies, when you're having fun! 8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:33:18 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

lbnaz

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 01:08:30 AM »
 Just went through this myself. I also wanted a scale that i could put my brining container on & still be able to see the display. I choose the ultimate 54, very bright back lit display, will weigh up to 22LBs with 1 gram resolution.  $24, Very happy with it.
 Here's a link on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010CQ3NG4/ref=twister_B017T7KLDW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Larry
Corning,NY
SI #3 with Heatermeter
Wilmington Grill Cape Fear

Nimrod

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 06:56:41 PM »
Thanks for the input both of you.  I'm a little less price sensitive when I know a product will hold up to several years use so the KD8000 looks good but Im going to take a closer look at Larry's Ultimate 54 as well.  Doesn't appear to be a bad choice either way.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 10:09:19 PM »
I'm certainly not "married" to the KD8000, but here's my nickel's worth of 2ยข on the Ultimate 54:  I'd be awfully scared of the platform, and looked at it before purchasing the 8000.  I think that single point of contact "balancing" platform is a mistake, and would cause (at least me) trouble.  I like the square platform that has more points of contact.  Here's the problem with the center point - "lopsided" items will tip it!  I mostly weigh items in a bowl (which I get a tare weight for), or chunks of wood.  But, if I measure hunks of meat, I want a more stable platform.  That glass top, doing a balancing act on a center pedestal, would scare me away from buying that scale.  Maybe it's just me, but that would be my only concern.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:19:26 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 10:31:57 PM »
I think for wood chunks and spices the Ultimate 54 would be just fine. But, if I wanted to weigh meat or anything over a couple of pounds I would be concerned about the stability and even the accuracy of the pedestal based Ultimate 54.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.