Author Topic: Pastrami  (Read 2359 times)

campcook

Pastrami
« on: February 10, 2014, 01:37:13 PM »
Well here is my first Pastrami in the little guy. I have done one before in a propane smoker so was really wanting to see what the difference was. I was impressed. (I did not open the box either). Well it turned out great. I used a pan of water in the smoker, masquite wood. Had read that it could take 12 hours with smoker at 225 and pulling at 190 meat temp. I started it at about 9:30am. It was a 4.6 Lb. Corned Beef. The temp of the meat seemed to go up fast and was worried that it might get done to fast but hung in there, good thing I did it stalled at 181 and sat there for about an hour or so the to 183 for another 40 min. I pulled it at 190 at about 5:00pm. This was a good test for me as I am doing this for a group of RVers in March and needed to know about how long it would take. Guess I will start it early and use a hot box to hold if it gets done sooner than I want. Dinner will be about 6:00 pm on that day. We had it for dinner last night and was a hit. I took it from the smoker let it rest for about 30 min. and then sliced it. The rest is in the refer and will try and steam it today for dinner. Here are some pictures. I love this little guy, think I have a few people interested in getting one. We leave on Wed. and will share some of this and the pork on Wed night camp out with some friends. Comments / Suggestions are always welcome.
Yes Dear usually keeps me out of trouble.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Pastrami
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:24:53 PM »
That looks great, Ray!  Was it a pre-packaged corned beef, or your own recipe?  I really want to do a pastrami!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Pastrami
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:38:50 PM »
That is one good looking pastrami.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle