Author Topic: Anyone ever smoked a london broil?  (Read 30072 times)

GSDC

Anyone ever smoked a london broil?
« on: February 09, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »
I have a great recipe for a london broil marinade that I've used with a grill-cook on 2-3 occasions.  However, london broils are notoriously tough, so I've yet to get one as tender as I like cooking on the grill.  I wonder if low and slow in the smoker would help break down the tissue and result in a more tender piece of meat.  Has anyone done this?  I've never cooked a brisket, but from reading this forum it seems that it is also a tough piece of meat...perhaps the london broil would be similar.  If you have cooked one, how did you prep the meat?  Did you finish on the grill?  How'd it turn out?
Glenn in South Carolina
Smokin-It #1 since 2013
Smokin-It #2 since 2014

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Anyone ever smoked a london broil?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
never tried one myself, hope someone on here has some info for you.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
GS - I've attempted London broil on the grill before, with not-so-stellar results.  If I were to attempt in the SI smoker, I would approach it like a brisket, except go for a medium-rare/medium finish.  Most likely, I would give it a good injection with your marinade, wrap in plastic, then a good overnight rest in the fridge to get happy.

As for smoking, I would use the low and slow/reverse-sear method.  I have great success with this with cuts like prime rib, sirloin roasts, and even pork loins.  Smoke the broil at 210 until internal temp hits 128 (or about 135 for medium), then pull it and foil wrap to rest.  Heat your grill (if you have one), or oven to 500-degrees.  When your oven or grill gets to temp, put the broil in for around 5-8 minutes to sear the outside.  Just watch it; you'll know when it looks right.  If it's less than about 2" thick, you probably want to pull it at around 110, then finish on the grill or oven.

I would recommend oak or hickory/oak mix on the wood for a London broil.  I would also recommend that you get one at least 2" thick so it cooks right.  Very hard to "low and slow" thinner cuts. 

Any other takers?  ;)

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GSDC

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »
Divot, thanks for the input. I'm not planning one soon, but have just been thinking of what beef would be good in the #1 (any other suggestions?).  The notoriously tough brisket made me think of the london broil.  The flavor of this marinade is unbeatable....its just that the meat is so tough if its not done just right (although, when I've eaten it with this marinade, the flavor is so good, you look past the fact that you lost 3 fillings chewing it!).  When I do one, I'll post all the details: marinade recipe, cook temp/time, wood, and, most importantly....the result. 

When you take it off at 128 and foil wrap, how long to rest before putting the grill?
Glenn in South Carolina
Smokin-It #1 since 2013
Smokin-It #2 since 2014

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
The foil rest for me, for a reverse-sear, is the time it takes the grill or oven to get to temp.  Usually 15-20 minutes.  Larger cuts (prime rib, sirloin tip roast), I'll let rest 30 minutes.  A good sirloin tip roast is a great cut of beef for the smoker, imo.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
The brisket flats i've cooked, were melt in your mouth tender.  Unbelievable! By far the best brisket I've ever eaten.  Definately something that should be a regular cook.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »
Your inject and brine method would probably work good with a London broil, don't you think, Walt?
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
The way I see it, it can't hurt.  I'm afraid to try it without doing both, they were so good.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »
I think you're right, Walt.  To clarify, the "London broil" is NOT a cut of meat - it's a cooking method.  The actual cut is usually a Top Round Roast, cut into a 2" slab weighing 5-6 lbs.  This is not a Top Round Steak, it's a roast.  Usually, it is marinated and then broiled (in the oven or BBQ grill) to medium-rare.  It's then thinly-sliced across the grain, much like flank steak or brisket.  It's great when done right, but can be very tough if not a) cooked right and b) sliced right.  A challenging cut, but can be very flavorful if done right.  I believe injection would be very beneficial, along with a low-and-slow smoke.   Hmm... this may on the menu soon! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas